Let Us Help!

"I don't know what to do Nick! I want to help her, but she won't let me! I'm really worried about her!" April told her boyfriend as she had called him after her little encounter with Mal. She couldn't stop freaking out about it. The young girl was clearly suffering at home. It was late at night and raining but they were just talking in the barn like they used to do when they were kids.

"Do you think I should call child protective services and file a report against her mom," April asked Nick as she didn't know what to do at this point. She wanted to help Mal but she didn't know how she felt calling CPS with no physical proof.

Just as Nick was about to respond they heard a noise and they looked up in complete shock to see the small purple haired girl soaking wet and shaking while covered in injuries and clinging to an old worn out stuffed animal.

  "Oh my god! Mal what are you doing here and what happened!" April screamed out as she immediately grabbed the girl and dragged her inside of the barn and away from the rain and Nick handed her a towel.

The small four year old just started sobbing after that. "Mommy ma me weabe aben cause I no smaw wike da obew kids in my pwesool. I wanna say hew till mommy wet me go ba, bu I go to pawk insed. I wob da pawk!" Mal told the two and April couldn't stop herself as she started to cry just hearing the innocence of Mal and the suffering she was going through.

   "No Mal you are not going to sleep at the park. Especially not when it's raining. And no you are not sleeping in the barn. Come on let's get you fixed up and you are staying in my house tonight," April told the young girl who just looked at April in shock.

  "Id otay Mi. Apwil I wiw jus..." Mal was interrupted by April who was not taking no for an answer. Every time she tried to help the small girl she refused it, but April would not budge on this.

      "No Mal! You are not sleeping in a barn! Or in the park! I am putting my foot down! It's dangerous!" April told the girl. "Bu I..." The small four year old started to say, but got interrupted again this time by Nick.

   "Mal you can't sleep in a barn! Now come on, April and I are going to help you, but you need to let us," Nick told the small girl who just sighed as she knew she wasn't going to win the argument.

      "Otay den! Ca I hab foow too?" The small four year old asked April who just nodded sadly making the small girl so excited. "Weawy! Yay! Wet's go insie!" The small girl screamed out with so much joy in her voice making April and Nick feel even worse seeing her get so excited at the mention of just getting to eat.

      Once they got inside April found an old toddler outfit that she used to wear as she handed it to Mal as Mal was soaking wet. "Here go put this on and get out of those wet clothes before you catch a cold," April told the girl who just looked at the clothes in shock.

      "Weawy!" The small girl screamed out excitedly as normally her mommy made her stay in her wet clothes. She then ran off with the clothes to go change.

Once Mal got back April helped Mal with her injuries while Nick got her some food to eat and then when April finished she looked the small girl in the eyes. "Mal, your mommy is hurting you isn't she? And you aren't getting fed at home either are you?" April asked the small girl who just quickly filled with panic as she looked at April and Nick.

        "No! Mommy no huw me!  I do ea foow at howm!" Mal screamed out, making April sigh as she knew Mal was lying. "Okay then Mal where did you get those injuries and what happened today at dance class. You almost passed out," April told the girl who just panicked again.

     "I few dow! I wa izzy bu id otay. Id away do da! I pomise mommy no huw me! See ge ma, bu see no huw me! I pomise," the young girl cried out in panic.

     April just sighed again as she motioned for Nick to leave the room in which he got right away as he left to go home and April's dad was out of town meaning it was just her and Mal.

"Okay Mal it's just you and me. Can you just tell me the truth please. Mal I want to help you. Just tell me the truth. Is your mommy hurting you and starving you," April asked the small girl with so much sincerity in her voice making Mal look at April.

     "Pomise no tew?" Mal asked April who sighed as she nodded even though she was already going to call CPS. "Pinky promise," the young girl asked April as she held up her pinky and April sighed again as she just went along with the girl.

           "Otay you pomise! Den yes mommy huw me an we no hab mu foow, bu..." the small girl told April, but she couldn't finish talking as April just shook her head as she started dialing CPS.

          "So your mom is hurting you and starving you?" April asked the girl who just nodded. "Yeah but I desewb id cause I no oposed be bown. An I wuin mommy's wife," the small four year old told April as if what she was saying was totally normal.

         "No Mal it's not okay! No one deserves to be treated like that. And Mal it's not okay for your mom to treat you like that and say those things to you!" April screamed out as she found the number she was looking for and pressed on it.

         The young purple haired girl just watched in confusion as she didn't understand what April was doing. "Mi. Apwil wa you dowing," Mal asked April who just sighed as she looked at the little girl.

       "Mal I have to report this!" April told the small girl whose eyes just widened in panic as she didn't want April to tell anyone. "You can't! Mommy gonna ge weawy weawy weawy ma! You no do id! You inky pomised! You no oposed a bweak a inky pomise!" Mal screamed out making April sigh as she knew Mal didn't want her to do this, but she needed to.

      If she knew this was going on and she chose to ignore it then that would make her just as bad as she would be letting it continue and she wouldn't ever let herself get over something like that. Allowing a child to be harmed all because the child didn't want her to report it.

     "Mal I know you don't want me to do this, but I can't just keep letting your mom do this to you! She is hurting you and neglecting you! She kicked you out of your house and made you go sleep outside in the rain! I'm sorry Mal, but I'm reporting this!" April told the four year old as she picked up the phone.

       "No! You no do dis! No fair!" The young girl screamed out and April just sighed as she ignored Mal's screams of protest as she picked up the phone and began to speak.

      "Hi, yes I would like to file a child abuse and neglect report," April said throught the phone as soon as the person on the other end picked up. And Mal just looked at April with a look of betrayal as April was going to get in her trouble.

      "No! You inky pomised no tew! I no twust you no more Mi. Apwil! You bwoke a inky pomise! You a wiar! Dey gonna ta me away now an it aw your faw! I gotta go befow dey fin me!" The young girl screamed out as she grabbed her ratty old toy and took off running before April could stop her.