~ chapter 20 ~

It was the next morning, I woke up to the bright sun blinding my eyes as my hair glistened in the light. I sat up as I reached to grab my beige journal, ready to start my affirmations in order to kick off my day to a positive start.

As I grabbed my journal and my shiny black pen, I started to write in my small yet tall handwriting.

I am strong. I am resilient. I am a hard worker. I am beautiful. I am independ...

I never got to finish as I heard a slight knock on my door. I got up, trudging toward the door wondering who could have interrupted my daily affirmations and journaling.

The door creaked open, revealing a familiar yet unrecognizable face.

"Hello?" I started confused and startled at this face.

"Hi. I am Catherine Avery." She was a powerful and strong woman I can tell. The thing that made me even more shocked was her last name, Avery. In that moment, I was finally able to put the pieces together. Catherine Avery, Jackson Avery. Catherine Avery the world known surgeon and her son, Jackson Avery the plastic surgeon.

I was in a romantic relationship with Jackson Avery, I was pregnant with his baby, and his mom was at my front door. It was just starting to hit me.

"Come in" I ushered to Catherine as I politely offered her to come inside.

"Don't mind if I do" she replied in her sweet yet deep complex voice.

She took off her red trench coat, as I offered to take it from her hanging it on the lined rack. Placing it between my coat and black puffer jacket creating an array of jackets.

She sat on my teal couch as she made herself comfortable with the white pillows surrounding her. I walked over to the living room before realizing that I had to perform at least some polite etiquette despite the unexpected visit.

"Can I get you anything?" I offered. "Tea? Coffee? Perhaps something to eat?"

"No. No, thank you! I'm great for now thank you" I walked over to the couch as I sat down next to her.

"I don't mean to come off as rude, but may I ask what brings you hear today." I asked trying to be polite as it was my first impression.

"I ha..." She started before she was interrupted with a large earthquake. Or at least it felt like that.