Chapter 1- Vegas Sweetheart

"Ruby's having a party tonight!" My best friend, Ellie James elbows me as we walk through the quad towards choir at the Las Vegas Academy of the Arts.
My friends Ethan, Rose, and Parker all look at me expectantly, smiling.
"Hey, I don't know what Ellie's talking about. There's three little kids at my house and my dad probably won't be home if that's why you want to come over."
Parker ruffles my hair and says, "Ruby, it's pretty amazing that your dad is the lead singer of the Killers, and any other girl in this school would die to be you, we've told you a million times that we like you for you- not because your dad is famous."
Parker was always so sweet. He's been one of my closest friends since middle school and has always been supportive of me.
"Thanks Park," feeling myself blush a bit I add, "But this 'party' is just going to be us five watching some dumb movie in my room or chasing my half-brothers around. And if you want to mess around with my dad's recording things, tough luck." I respected my dad and his work enough not to put it in danger, and I want to make sure my friends do the same.
Rose pipes up, "We just want to hang out with you, we won't even go into the studio."
I smirked. That was a lie. The last time Rose came over I freaked out when I saw her sitting on my dad's grand piano- a gift from Elton John.
"Yeah, sure," I mumble, as we walk into the doors of the choir room, taking our spots on the risers.
I'm definitely a soprano. When I was little, my dad used to sing with me all the time and he always said I sounded like an angel. I didn't realize he was actually being serious until I auditioned for the Las Vegas Academy (LVA) and got in. I guess there's the possibility that the teachers saw that I was Brandon Flower's daughter and thought it would look good if I went to their school. Oh well. I'm here now.
~
Finally, the bell rings at two o clock after the last class of the day- geometry. I shove everything into my bag as my long blonde hair flips over my shoulder. I was going to meet my friends and walk down to Starbucks, and then to Fremont Street (Elvis slept here!). I meet my friends at the steps in front of the school and we begin to take the short walk down to the coffee shop.
"Guys!" Ellie shouted out, looking as if she had come to some phenomenal realization.
"What?" We all inquired, looking in her direction.
"It's spring break!"
Everyone laughed and I shoved her playfully.
"We've been counting down for weeks, Ellie!"
She laughed and replied, "I know, but now it just feels so real!"
I looked to my right and saw that Rose was looking a little irritated as Ellie and I were joking, and she was stuck listening to a long and detailed description about what happened on the last episode of The Walking Dead given by Ethan. Rose was definitely not the kind of girl interested in a show about zombies. Her mini skirts and manicured nails made this very apparent.
Parker obviously sensed that she was uncomfortable, and asked Ethan about what he did in Photography today. Rose shot him a thankful look and shifted over to Ellie and I. Although Ellie and I are best friends, I still try to make Rose feel included, because it sucks to be the third wheel. We discuss Pretty Little Liars and Zayn Malik leaving One Direction until we walk into Starbucks.
"Guys, they have a birthday cake frappe!" Rose squeals with delight.
"That sounds disgusting." Ethan declares, and Parker agrees.
"Suit yourself then," Ellie says, rolling her eyes and pulling me into the line. Once it's my turn to order, the cashier looks at me in shock, putting the connection between my dad and I together.
"Hi! Oh my gosh! Tell your dad I'm his biggest fan! I heard him on 94.1 this morning!" She said this all very quickly, her large brown eyes gleaming with excitement.
I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at her. Instead, I smiled and said, "I will!" And then proceeded with my order. That's something you learn when your in the focus of the media. When my dad takes me with him to events, he always tells me to smile and be polite to everyone, even if they are irritating. So that's what I do.
~
After we finished our drinks, we started making the journey to Fremont Street. I was reluctant to go, due to the staring and fans approaching me. I've played some small roles in a few films and have been seen enough with my dad that people are able to recognize me. Usually when they come up to me, they're more interested in what my dad has going on than what Ruby Flowers is up to. People must just think of me as, "Brandon Flowers' daughter". What they don't understand is that I want to be famous for my accomplishments- not his
~
Once we pass the "Heart Attack Grill" (over 350 lbs eat free), and enter into the crowds of tourists and the homeless. When a guy in a Hawaiian shirt and a huge camera shoves me out of his way, Parker flips him off and pulls me in under his arm. Laughing, I try to reassure him that I'm fine, until he finally releases me. As we are walking down the street past the many shops and tourist attractions, I feel someone tap my shoulder and turn around. A reporter in a skin tight black dress and a microphone greets me.
"Ruby Flowers! Oh honey, I've just heard so much about you! Would you mind being interviewed for just a few minutes?" Her bearded assistants look me up and down and wink at each other, obviously checking me out. Sickos. I'm not even wearing anything provocative- a Hot Fuss T-shirt (today is laundry day, and I was in a rush; I usually don't promote the Killers) and skinny jeans. But, being the lady I
am, I replied with a, "Not at all! I would love to do an interview!"
The woman smiles, "Great! Our studio is just down the street. Follow me."
"Can my friends come?" I ask the woman, and she turns around and looks at my rag tag group of companions, looking at her hopefully. "Of course honey, anything for you!" She replied.
"Thank you ma'am." I say politely. My dad once told me that using "ma'am" and "sir" helps to win people over. But there was no way I was even going to speak to her dirty assistants.
"Please, call me Katherine!" She told me, and then walked on, her assistants following close behind.
I smiled at my friends encouragingly and they followed me down to where this interview would take place.
~
I was in a simple recording studio with a piano in the back, along with a few electric guitars. Parker and Ethan sat on the piano bench, and Rose was busy looking at the posters all along the wall, no doubt studying a young John Lennon. Ellie sat in a chair next to the guitars. Everything needed for the interview was set up, so I picked up a guitar and began plucking the theme from "Mr. Brightside." Without thinking about what I was doing, I heard myself singing bits and pieces of the song as I recalled the chords.
"I'm coming out of my cage
And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
Now I'm falling asleep
And she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke
And she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching his chest
Now, he takes off her dress
Now, letting me go"
Once I looked up at everyone staring at me I realized what I had done. Katherine, her assistants, and all my friends were cheering hysterically, and then coming over to hug me. The glare I shot at Katherine's assistants told them not to come any closer.
"You're amazing Rubes!" Parker exclaims, and I smile at my nickname.
Rose appears to push back her pride enough to give me a, "That was pretty cool Ruby." Ethan continues whooping and pounding on the piano, but stops as soon as Katherine gives him a dirty look.
"That was amazing Ruby! I didn't know you sang things other than show tunes in choir." Ellie told me, and I smiled at her slight humor.
"Ruby Flowers, you are just like your father- maybe even better." Katherine compliments me, and continues, "You really are THE Vegas Sweetheart."