Chapter 10- On the (Dance) Floor

I couldn't believe that I was actually going through with this. Taking this stupid dance class. I was going to look like an idiot, as I hadn't danced in years.

My dad was on tour, and so it was me and the boys in the car with Tana on our way to the dance studio. It was called "AMDC", which stood for "Allie Montgomery Dance Company." Whoever this teacher was better have her life together if she felt the need to make the studio after herself. Then again, that is probably something that I would do myself.

I was going in to register and then take class immediately after. I guess we would be competing in a few weeks in a category that was for less experienced dancers. Tana figured I would really shine in this group, but in reality, I would be just the same as everybody else.

We pulled up to witness a hungover group of twenty somethings stumble down the boulevard ;) as I took a few deep breaths to compose myself. The studios pink color was a bit faded, but it looked like there was renovation being done as the smell of fresh paint was poignant.

I didn't wait for Tana because I figured I would try being independent for once. She would be in a second. As I entered, a bell rung and a short brunette looked up from a snack of paperwork on a large desk. She reminded me of Gianna from Dance Moms. If this turns out to be anything like Dance Moms, I'm never coming back.

"Hi, how may I help you?" She asked me politely as I leaned up against the counter. I quickly got off of it as soon as I realized what I was doing.

"I'm here to register for that less experienced dancer category." I informed her as my brothers and Tana came through the door.

"Okay! Do you have jazz or ballet shoes?"

"Yep. I've got a leotard on under this as well."

"Great! What's your name sweetheart?"

I breathed a little more sharply than usual, praying she wouldn't recognize my last name, praying that she was just one of those people that had maybe heard Somebody Told Me once or twice and had no idea who the person who sang it was.

"Ruby Flowers."

"That's a lovely name!" She giggled, "A ruby is a flower, so that's pretty ironic too!"

What. An. Airhead. Since when is a ruby a flower?

I decided to just laugh along with her nervously, marveling at her stupidity. I was just grateful that she didn't know who I was.

She typed my name into her MacBook and then gave me some forms to fill out. Tana gave me a questioning look that seemed to ask if I would be okay with her leaving. I smiled and nodded in her direction in order to reassure her that I would be alright.

As soon as I finished filling out the forms, she directed me to a den where I could get my shoes on and mingle with the other dancers. I entered to see four other girls stretching. They all looked to be around 15 like me.

"Hi! What's your name?" A blonde girl with a pixie cut who reminded me of Tana piped up.

"Ruby." I smiled. "What's yours?"

"Jennifer." Nice. That's a name you don't hear to often anymore. Plus, theres a lot of famous Jennifers. She smiled back, and opened her mouth to say something else only to be interrupted by a girl was long, dark hair and hazel eyes.

"Nice! You have the same name as Brandon Flowers daughter. You look like her too. I'm Bailee."

I wasn't about to deal with this. "Who's Brandon Flowers?" I asked as cluelessly as I could manage. I was surprised none of them had put it together. They actually thought that my name was Ruby Flowers, I looked like Ruby Flowers, but I wasn't THE Ruby Flowers? Fine by me.