Chapter 3- Smile Like You Mean It?

Although I'm slightly curious as to who is at the front door, I don't care enough to follow Ammon and Gunnar. Since he was finally tall enough to be able to see through the peephole on his tiptoes, he felt that he was somehow the man of the house when dad wasn't home. Which I guess is true, in a way.
"It's Dad!!" Ammon yelled, and fumbled with the lock before swinging it open. Without a second thought, Henry got up off the couch by pushing off of me, right in the stomach.
I moaned but then sat up, watching as my friends all got up and walked towards the front room. Off to meet Brandon Flowers. I wish that he could've come home once my friends left, since I wanted to hang out with them without having to sit around watching as they ask my dad stupid questions. I walk in to see Dad on the floor wrestling with the boys, so he doesn't notice me. Parker and Ethan laughing, and Rose looks like she is going to explode with excitement. I want them all to go home. Except maybe Ellie, who walks over to me and pulls me to the couch, probably wanting to talk about my mood.
Once my brothers have worn my dad put more than he already is, he gets up and gives me a hug.
"Hey baby girl," he says softly and I take in the smell of cologne and fruit.
"Hey dad." I say as I pull away. "You already know Ellie, but this is Rose, Ethan, and Parker."
My dad smiles, "Nice to meet you all. I didn't know Ruby was having a party."
I rolled my eyes AGAIN.
"It's not a party... at least it wasn't before."
Dad could tell something was wrong. I was an open book. He gave me a questioning look but decided not to press the issue.
Tana practically runs in and my dad lifts her up and swings her around before pulling her in for a long kiss. I thought that they had a beautiful relationship, but I had seen this plenty of times and was already in a bad mood, so I kids sat down as my friends made resounding "Aww's". I really wanted to just kick them all out and spend time with my dad or just hide in my room watching Friends.
"Do you want to invite some people over? Ruby's friends are over, so we might as well do something too." Tana says, looking up at my dad.
"Anything you want baby," he replied, kissing her again. "The rest of the band is in town this weekend. And we can invite any of your friends."
Okay... This wouldn't be so bad... I mean my friends would probably give up trying to talk to Dad if he was surrounded by all his friends or colleagues.
"Make sure Ronnie can come." I say, almost in a demanding tone.
"Oh he'll be here." Dad replies. Ronnie had always been my favorite. Back in the Hot Fuss and Sam's Town era, I used to go out to dinner with my dad, Tana, and the rest of the band before any of my brothers were born, before shows. I always would sit on his lap and he would play the silly little games in the coloring handouts restaurants give you. He thought it was funny when I blew into my soda through the straw even though Dad and Tana would eventually tell me to stop. Ronnie really could have been any four-year-old's best friend, but he had a special place in his heart for me. Mark and Dave were always nice, but we never had the same connection as Ronnie and I.
I came back to my senses after a trip down memory lane and saw that Tana was on the phone inviting people over, and sure enough, my friends- including Ellie- had surrounded my dad.
He looked a little uncomfortable, considering Rose was almost right up against him. Idiot. He's married and twenty years older than you. I mean I know that he's attractive but show some respect. Ammon was walking around the front room with a Nerf gun, and Gunnar and Henry were hanging onto dad. Wow Henry. So much for being my little buddy. I know that he misses dad but it still bothers me. I'm in such a bad mood over everything always revolving around my dad and me being his daughter. I mean I'm talented too, I just haven't had a lot of opportunities to go off on my own.
I walk into the kitchen and sit on the counter, hoping to keep Tana company but mainly avoiding what was irritating me.
As she hung up the phone, she turned to me, "Well, that was our last guest- unless you think of anyone you want to invite."
"I think we're good," I reply. "I wish that my friends weren't here though."
"Try to have a positive attitude about this. Everyone coming over here has adored you since you were born. They love you."
"But they love my dad more." I mumbled, picking at my purple nail polish.
She sighed, "I really don't know what to say that will make you feel better."
"Just forget it. I'll be fine." I said, sliding of the counter. "Do you want me to order pizzas or anything?"
"It's okay Rubes, I'm on it." She continued, "go at least try to have fun. Smile like you mean it."
"Very funny," I say as I exit, following the noise to my dad's studio, where he was sitting at the piano playing the piano version of Crossfire. It was never released, but he seems to enjoy it nonetheless. Out of the corner of the eye he saw me enter and sensed that I probably wanted to be alone with my friends.
"I'm going to go help Tana get things ready. You kids have fun." He said, tousling my hair as he left.
"Your dad is soo cool Ruby!" Rose says, leaning on the wall next to the $10,000 dollar guitars.
"Yes, I am well aware." I reply shortly.
"What's the problem with you today Ruby?" Ethan asked me, picking up one of my dad's music awards tossing in from one hand to the other.
"Put that down!" I scream. "What the h*ll is wrong with you?"
He snickers a bit but then puts it back. Ellie and Parker looked concerned, and Rose was trying not to laugh.
I had forgotten that my brothers were in the room.
"Ruby said a bad word! I'm telling daddy!" Gunnar yelled and folded his arms together.
Ammon added to the problem. "Yeah we're telling dad!"
I turn around and glare at them, "Good thing I don't care."
Well now I've really done it. They run out of the room and Parker says, "Those aren't that bad. I mean you weren't dropping f bombs."
"Well, they're bad to these kids. And now I'm probably going to be grounded or something. I would go home if I were you guys."
They reluctantly pulled out their phones to inform their parents of the change of plans, presumably.
Henry starts to cry and runs out as well. Great. Just great.
He bumps into Ammon as he runs out, who says, "Dad wants to talk to you. Also your friends have to go home."
"Thanks, Sherlock." I shove him a little harder than intended as I leave, to see Tana and my dad sitting on the sofa.