Chapter 6- They'll Never Get Me Right

None other than Rose Walker had tweeted about the incident today.
@.rosewalkerxo : "Ruby Flowers is a spoiled and ungrateful brat who's only 'famous' because of her dad."
Wow. This was really low, even for her. I then looked down at the comments, and was relieved to find that most people from school were defending me. However, a girl in my choir class wrote that I sound like a dying cat when I sing. Well, I know that I'm not my dad, but I'd say I have a decent voice. Another comment said that my mom was probably a prostitute down on the strip, and someone replied to this saying that I had probably got an STD from her. Who did these people think they were? I felt the tears begin to fall as I scrolled through the hateful comments. No Ruby. You couldn't do this. I had to come up with a tweet to put everyone back into their place.
Ruby Flowers
@rubyflowers : "Wow! I'm finding out things about myself that I never noticed before! But I'm sure Brandon Flowers would beg to differ 😉"
People immediately began to favorite and retweet it, and I smiled. I could handle a few haters.
I walked over to my bathroom down the hall and shut the door behind me. After rinsing my face off, I decided that I didn't look like I had been crying, so I went back into the living room.
A stack of pizzas sat on the counter, and Tana was pulling out paper plates from the cupboard. I hadn't even noticed they arrived. Everyone was hanging around visiting, and as I looked back, I swear I saw Kate smirk at me.
"Hey Tana."
"Ruby! Could you give everyone a piece?"
"Sure!" I replied as we began divvying up the food. I then began to hand them out, and most people smiled at me and said thank you. Gunnar snatched it from me, and if there weren't people her, I probably would have flipped. When I got to Ronnie and Kate, Ronnie seemed to be avoiding my gaze, and Kate put her hand over his stomach and said to me, "Oh no sweetie, we'll be having kale chips." She pulled out two little green paper bags and handed one to an expressionless Ronnie.
"We're watching what we eat, Ruby." Ronnie told me, and Kate chimed in.
"You probably should too Ruby." She gave me a disgusted look up and down.
Before even thinking of what my response could be, I walked away, and put the pizza back onto the counter.
I was 5'4 and about 105 pounds. I really didn't think that I needed to watch what I ate.
Well I'm not going to just sit in the kitchen, I thought. I decided to just load my plate with a stack of cheese pizza just to piss Kate off. Ammon was sitting next to Dad, so I squirmed in between him and the end of the couch.
"Everyone enjoying the pizza? It's amazing huh?" I say to the group, and everyone agrees. I glance over at Kate and Ronnie to see her acting as if she didn't hear me and Ronnie staring at Henry's pizza crust that he had abandoned on his plate.
After a few requests, Dad finally gave in to playing some old footage from the Hot Fuss tour.
"Ruby can you get it started for me?" He asked me, and I got up and started rummaging through one of the drawers in the entertainment stand surrounding the TV.
It was a mess. It had kind of become what some people call a "junk drawer" where you just throw things in for the sake of putting them somewhere. It was overflowing with CDs, toy cars, and fruit snacks. Gross. I finally found the disk that we had made (it used to be a tape) of the Hot Fuss tour.
"Found it!" I exclaimed, causing some cheering. I don't think there was anything embarrassing of me on here. I pushed the disk in the VCR and then sat back down. Wait. There was that incident at the show in Vegas. When I was four years old. No, no, no!! This is not happening.
As it began to play, I watched the band perform some of my favorites (Jenny Was a Friend of Mine, Change Your Mind, and Smile Like You Mean It.) After about half an hour, the thought of some footage being revealed had been pushed to the back of my mind.
Until the beginning of Somebody Told Me started to play.