19

this chapter contains smut

We sprinted as fast as our legs could take us but the sand that slipped out from under us with each step made it difficult. It didn't take long for WCKED to send out vehicles and people after us.

"Everyone stay low." Thomas instructs in a hushed voice that I could barely hear over the winds. We come across a building, halfway buried in the sand dunes but decide to take shelter here anyways. Once we were safely inside and were certain no one saw us come in we relaxed a bit.

"Okay Y/n I think it's times for you and Aris to explain everything that you saw." Thomas starts out, everyone staring at me and waiting.

"Okay um well, where to start? I knocked out a guard, stole his gun and card. Blah, blah, blah, I run into Aris in the vents on accident then we go to the room I told you guys about earlier today. The very first thing we saw was baby grievers being held in these tanks, they were honestly kinda cute if they weren't so hostile. The further we walked in the more we saw, and at least 100 of the kids who were being sent to a so called 'safe house' were there strung up and connected to all these tubes. There's something inside us that's valuable to them and putting us in the mazes makes more of it somehow, I think. But ya, doctor paige is still alive and working with Jansen. I pretty much covered the main points back there." I really don't know what more they wanted, I covered mostly everything.

"But for the record I was right all along and I think that goes for something." I add, no one paying attention since they were already arguing over the plan.

"Wait, Janson said something about people that lived in the mountains. Some kind of resistance." Aris comments, I could only roll my eyes.

"Ya remember he also said that they want us just as bad as WCKED does, I don't think that's a good thing." Apparently I was the only one with a brain here.

"If they're against WCKED then maybe they'll be up to helping us." Thomas says, resulting in a glare from me since he obviously disregarded to listen to me.

"People who live in the mountains? Mountain people? That's our plan?" Correction Newt and I were the only ones with a brain. He wasn't on board as much as me.

"It's our only chance." Thomas argues, I was debating if he was truly born without common sense or not because he was acting dumb as shit.

"I'd just like to point out that it will be your faults if we get burned at the stake or some shit." Newt and Cora laugh whereas everyone just dismisses my comment, even if it was the truth.

"Guys look at this." Lizzy says pointing to human footsteps in the sand, how many times was I going to forget about her existence?

"Someone been here."

"No shit really? I thought that was just how sand looked." My smartass comments were getting ignored and not getting the recognition they deserved so I went off on my own. I told Cora to come with but she insisted numbers provided safety and stuck with the group.

"Brat." I mumble, deciding against yelling it since we were getting chase by WCKED. Keeping the footsteps in mind I saunter around carefully, finding lots of cool stuff while doing so. I had found a backpack that was in good shape, filled with tons of expired food and a machete. I dumped the food but kept the knife inside and slung it over my shoulder. My luck was usually shit but I had found enough ammo for my exact gun to last a decade. I packed as much as I could without giving myself a back problem. I actually ended up having to ditch some more of it because of everything else I had found, I also ended up attaching the machete to my pants. A flashlight, some clothes, tampons, a blanket, and a bottle of unopened whiskey is what was added to my bag of goodies. I opted to save the whiskey for a time when I wasn't running for my life.