Chapter 25: The Calm

It's been at least 2 months since Freya's been inside the Barrier.

.

.

.

The last person I thought that would make me this smiley was Callum. The last person that I thought would make me feel this way was Callum. The last person I thought that I would ever want to dance forever with was Callum.

I couldn't stop smiling, and I had to stop. We were still dancing, swaying gently at the background instrumental music still was heard in the dark night. Surrounded by less and less people as the night was coming to an end.

Noticing my smiles, Callum returned mine with his own full dimpled, heart stopping one. Really, he never gave one genuine smile to me the whole time I've known him. "I wish I had a camera," I said under my breath.

"Why do you say that?" Callum asked, sounding amused.

I bite my lip, trying to stop myself from smiling at him. Feeling like my heart was swelling by just being with him. Him looking at me like that. His gaze had softened considerably on me. Seriously, I was delusional. Light headed. But I hoped that this bubbly feeling inside of me never went away.

It all had to due to Callum's arms around me, his hold on my hips felt like he didn't want to let me go. I didn't want him to let go either.

"You're just perfect," I sighed. Callum laughed lowly, deep in his chest causing a flutter of butterflies to erupt again. That sound was beautiful. He's never laughed before, and this was new territory that I was experiencing with him. I thought about if I ever laughed in front of him. I didn't think so. Callum literally only saw me at my worst which bought out the nickname Swamp Thing, yet he still thought good things about me.

I added, "Add a recording device to that too."

His smile was brilliant, directed right at me. Dimples at full force, making him look both boyish and wolfish that made me ache of how insanely hot it was. Heat crept up my neck, and to my cheeks at his attention to me. All for me.

I ducked back to his chest, to hide my sudden blush. "Not fair to hide that face you're making," Callum said, tightening his hold just a little. "Now I wish I had the camera."

I closed my eyes, savoring this moment. The security that Callum gave me. For once this whole time, I didn't feel so alone.

As soon as the music stop, everyone made their ways back to the tents. Callum and I stayed where we were. Both of us might be thinking the same thing: we don't want to leave.

Willing every ounce of my willpower to pull away from him, I had to help clean up with Lorraine. Something I stupidly volunteered to do while I was setting up the dance. I thought Callum was going to leave, but he said he'd stay to help- with the putting away the chairs and tables which Lorraine was grateful for.

Lorraine had to shoo away the last stragglers that were making out on the tables. She was on duty to clean up, and added Flora and Adrienne to it. Opal and Ara were one of the first to leave the dance, saying they'd rather sleep early than be with people. Opal probably wanted to get away from Catoria which I understood.

Flora was giving away the flower center pieces, and she pulled me to her as soon as Callum disappeared to put away the stacks of tables he was able to carry with those strong arms. She exclaimed, "You guys were so cozy!"

"Were we?" I asked, acting innocent. Pulling down my sleeves of my dress so the bracelets don't appear. "Adrienne seemed to stop being crappy."

"He had his reasons, Freya. You have to believe me." Flora turned serious then. She forgave him for his treatment, but I wouldn't.