The next day, Meredith and Derek both got up with the kids. Bailey was always a mamas boy especially in the morning, so the two of them were laying on the couch.

Zola and Derek were in the kitchen cooking. The morning time in the Grey-Shepherd house were always quiet and calm, unless one of the kids were crying.

Meredith stood up and walked into the kitchen. She put Bailey down in his high chair, kissed Zola who was sitting at the counter, and then proceeded to walk over to Derek and wrap her arms around his lower waist.

"Whatcha making?" Meredith asked, pressing her nose into his back. "Pancakes and bacon. Your favorite." Derek replied, turning around to face her.

"Tired?" He smirked, noticing the circles under her eyes. "You were the one who insisted on six rounds last night. So yes, I'm a little tired and sore." Meredith replied.

Derek chuckled and pressed a kiss to her lips. "You loved it." He said, grinning as he turned back to the pancakes. "Got me there." Meredith laughed.

•••

After breakfast, they all got dressed and decided to go for a walk. It was sometning they all liked to do to get out and hike through their land, but they didn't get around to it much since their work hours were all over the place.

"Be careful, Zo. There are a lot of tree roots and you don't want to trip." Meredith warned as 3 year old Zola ran unsteadily ahead.

"I missed this." Derek breathed as he took in the beautiful scenery of their land and the sight of their daughter running ahead.

"Me too." Meredith responded softly, grabbing his larger hand. "DC is a lot nosier. Busier. It kind of reminded me of New York that way." Derek said.

"Hm." She hummed. "Ow!" Zola exclaimed as she fell onto her knees. "You okay, Zo?" Derek asked, jogging up towards her and kneeling down. "Daddy." She whispered as her knee started to bleed.

"It's just a scrap, ZoZo. Let's go back and daddy will clean it up for you, okay?" Derek asked in a soothing voice. "Is she okay?" Meredith asked.

"Just a scrap. Come here, zo." Derek answered, swooping the little girl up into his arms. "We need to dis-fect it." Zola whispered. Derek and Meredith smiled. "Yes we do, Dr Zola." Meredith giggled as they began their walk back.

•••

They got back to the house and put Bailey down for a nap before setting Zola on the counter. "This might sting a bit, Zo." Derek warned before gently dabbing on some hydrogen peroxide.

Zola whimpered and grabbed on to Meredith's shirt. "It's okay, Zo." Meredith whispered, kissing her head gently. "All done. What's next, Dr Zola?" Derek grinned.

"Bandaid?" Zola guessed, smiling slightly. "That's right." Derek said proudly as he gently stuck on a hello kitty bandaid. "All better." Meredith said happily.

Zola yawned and rubbed her eyes sleepily. "Do you want to take a nap?" Derek asked. They had been gradually weening her off naps, but last night she had a sleepover with Sofia and probably didn't get a lot of sleep.

Zola nodded and reached her arms out to Derek, who took her. "I'll put her down." He said softly as he carried her up to her bedroom.

Derek came back about a half an hour later, much longer than he should've been and sat down on the couch next to her with a pensive expression.

"That took a while. Did she not go down easy? What is it?" Meredith asked curiously. "Uh, the NIH called me." He said.

Meredith went silent and hoped he wouldn't say what she thought. "Okay." She said uncertainly. "Just hear me out, okay? I know I said I'd resign, which I will, but they want me to fly back just for a day to finish up something's and sign stuff." He explained.

"Why can't they just send the papers here?" Meredith asked with a questioning glance. "They want me to finish up and tie some loose ends. It's just for a day, Mer." Derek said sheepishly.

"What did you say?" Meredith responded. "I-I told them I wanted to ask you first before I confirmed." He replied. "But you basically said yes then?" She asked.

"I-it's just for a day, Mer." Derek tried to reason. "Are You gonna finish what you started with your research fellow too?" She snapped.

"What? Mer, no." Derek replied in shock. "You promised you wouldn't go back. You said you would resign. If you really wanted to, you could've told them no on the spot and told them to mail you the papers." Meredith said, angrily.

"Mer, I'm just finishing some papers and stuff over there! I'm not going to even see Renee, and I don't want to!" Derek replied, raising his voice.

"You promised me. Not the first time you'd have broken a promise." Meredith scoffed. "You need to stop being an entitled bitch!" Derek retorted.

"Sometimes I have to be selfish, Derek. You keep lying to me and I'm sick of it!" She replied. "You're sounding like your mother more and more everyday." Derek said passive aggressively.

Meredith frowned. That one hurt. She could take whatever else, but when he brought up her mother those always hurt. "Screw you." She scoffed, grabbing her keys off the counter and storming out the door. "Where are you going?" Derek yelled.

"Away." She muttered, slamming the door and getting into the car. Meredith started the car and pulled out of the driveway.

She hated being compared to her mother. She was nothing like Ellis. She was a good mother, and a good person. And a hell of a good surgeon.

Meredith continued driving as the tears fell. She had no isa a where she was going, but she just kept her foot on the gas.

They were doing so good, having such a great day, and then he had to get that stupid call and it thrones everything.

Meredith was so deep in her thoughts, she didn't even see the car driving on the wrong side of the road before it was too late.

Everything went black for Meredith with a sickening crunch of metal.

Hey guys!! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well!! As always, if you have any suggestions for future chapters or anytning please let me know!! Hope you all enjoyed!