Meredith slowly woke to a ringing in her ears as she slowly opened her eyes. Every muscle in her body hurt, even her toes. But her head especially, was throbbing.

She hadn't even seen the car coming. She was just driving down the road when the car hit her head on front the other direction.

"Ma'am? Ma'am, can you hear me? Call 911 now!" She heard a faint voice call out. Meredith turned her head to look, but her eyes fell shut before she could see them. She just prayed to God that someone would come soon.

Sure enough, the sound of an ambulance rang loudly and paramedics jumped out quickly. "Pupils are not equal and barely reactive. We might be looking at a depressed skull fracture." The paramedic said, using her penlight.

"Shit. Call ahead to Pres, let them know we need a neurosurgeon ready." The other paramedic said loudly.

Meredith came around once again to voices. "Miss, I'm Oliver. I'm a paramedic. Can you hear me?" Oliver asked gently.

Meredith nodded slightly, only to find that movement excruciating . Her vision was blurred, and her head was killing ber. "Can you speak?" She asked.

Meredith opened her mouth to do so, but no words would come out. "Okay. That's okay. We're gonna get you help, okay? Try to stay awake for me." Oliver said.

Meredith tried her best, but she just couldn't keep consciousness. "She's out again. We need to get her into the ambulance now."

They got Meredith strapped into a stretcher and into the vehicle, which drove fast through the traffic. "Her BP is low and sats are dropping. Put her on high flow oxygen. Check pupils again." A paramedic barked.

Oliver checked her pupils to find them the same. "If we don't get there soon we're going to have to relieve the pressure. How Far out are we?"

"About 2 minjtes." The driver responded. "Make it faster." Oliver said sternly. "Uhh." Meredith groaned. "Hey, easy. You're going to be okay, alright? We're almost there. Just hang on." Oliver said soothingly.

•••

Derek was starting to get worried. It had been almost four hours since his wife had stormed out the door. He called the hospital to see if she was there, and she wasn't.

Derek tried calling her, but each time it went to voicemail. When Meredith was pissed, she usually needed some space. But it had been 4 hours and he hasn't heard a word from her.

Just when he was about to rally up the kids to go look for her at the bar or some other place, his phone rang. And his heart dropped when he saw the caller Id.

"Hello?" Derek asked with a shaky voice. "Dr Shepherd? This is Seattle Pres. We're calling you because you're the emergency contact for Meredith Grey. Is that correct?" A woman's voice said softly.

"Yes. God, is she okay? What happened?" Derek asked worriedly as he ran a hand through his hair. "Meredith was in a car accident. I think you should come here as soon as you can." The woman said.

"Is she okay? Please, just tell me if she's...alive." Derek swallowed. "As far as I know, she's stable and in the OR." She replied.

"Okay. I'll be there as soon as I can. I...we have kids...I..." Derek trailed off. "We have social services available to watch them if you can't get someone else." The nurse assured. "Okay I'm coming." He said, hanging up the phone.

Derek paced back and worth as he thought of how to handle this with the kids. "Amy?" Derek asked as she answered the phone. "Derek, what is it? What's wrong?" Amelia responded at the frantic tone of her brother.

"I need you to come watch the kids now. Meredith was in an accident. How soon can you get here?" Derek asked. "Oh god...I'll be there in 10 minutes." Amelia responded.

"Okay....okay." He breathed, trying to calm his shaky nerves. "You need to be positive, Derek. I'm on my way now." Amelia said.

"The nurse said she's in surgery and I should come as soon as I can." Derek whispered. "Don't freak out until you know what exactly is wrong. Stay on the phone with me, okay?"

Amelia arrived 7 minutes later and wrapped her arms around her big brother quickly. "Go. I'll stay with them as long as you need me to. Keep me updated." She said, pulling away.

Derek nodded and quickly rushed out the door into his car. He compared her to her mother. That was a low ball and he knew it.

He knew her mother was a touchy subject for her. He knew that would hurt her the most, and that's exactly why he said it. In arguments, Derek liked to have the last word. And boy, he sure did this time.

He drove as fast as he could without crashing to the hospital. Thousands of thoughts ran through his head. Surgery. What kind of surgery? How severe? How long would it take?

Would she survive?

Derek was scared shitless as he jogged inside the hospital. "Uh, Meredith. Meredith Grey." He asked to the receptionist. "She's in surgery right now, sir. You can take a seat in the waiting room." She replied.

Derek ran his hands through his hair and slowly made his way to the waiting room and plopped down into a chair.

He hated this. He hated not knowing what's happening. His wife could be dead, coding, for all he knew. And he would have no clue.

"Meredith Grey?" a voice called out about an hour later. Derek stood up and walked over. "Is she okay?" He asked worriedly.

"How about we sit down?"

Hey guys!!! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your doing well. If you have any suggestions for future chapters, feel free to let me know. Thanks for reading!!