Chapter Eleven

"Alright, so the trap is simple," Ray explained as he gently handed me the trap.

"This is a trap?" I asked. "It looks like a curling stone...but rectangle...and metal...and decorated."

"It kind of works the same way," Ray chuckled. "See, you can't get too close to the trap when it sets off, so you roll it on its wheels towards the ghost. Once the trap is under the ghost, you stomp on the pedal." Ray held up the lever, which looked like a car's gas pedal with some wires attached to it. "Once the trap is activated, you quickly look away and listen for the trap to close. Once it's closed, a light will blink indicating whether or not you captured the ghost. If it's blinking, you've got something inside it."

"That's it?" I tittered.

"That's it. Simple right?"

"A little too simple."

"Hey, it's a hard job once you've got the proton pack. Then you gotta worry about not setting the place on fire."

"Good thing I'm not using one, right?" I smirked.

"We're almost there," Egon informed.

"Any questions before you jump into it?" Ray asked.

"Yeah, actually...why do we have to look away?"

"Well, you see..." Ray paused. "I don't know. I mean, Egon's looked at it by accident, but nothing happened. However, it's believed that prolonged exposure could cause blindness or eye damage."

"So, other than that, it's not dangerous? My soul won't get sucked out or anything?"

"Oh please, that's completely impossible...isn't it?"

"That idea hasn't been explored yet," Egon answered. "No willing test subjects."

"Gee, I wonder why."

"I wanted to volunteer, but they stopped me."

"Ah, Dr. Spengler, always a willing sacrifice in the name of science." The Ecto-1 began to slow down before finally coming to a stop outside a large dilapidated brick building. The building had been closed down since I was in elementary school, I remember the day it closed as if it were yesterday. A kid went missing and was found days later stuffed inside the ceiling, his body was torn to shreds and was hard to identify, but the parents were able to finally identify him when they found a birthmark on a severed leg. One of the janitors was arrested and charged for the murder, he never even fought in court. He wouldn't speak to an attorney, wouldn't speak to the judge, just kept stonefaced the entire time. He eventually was found guilty, but got murdered in prison before his sentencing.

The school became a local ghost story hotspot after the janitor's death; students and faculty constantly reported seeing the janior in the halls and the sightings became so frequent that no student or staff member wanted to be there. The school closed down and opened a new one a few miles away from the old school. The building should've been torn down, but instead, Brooklyn let it become a horrible eyesore. With windows broken out, old and new graffiti covering the outside walls, and severely overgrown grass, the sight of it alone was enough to cause ghost stories to be told about it.

"Well, this is it," Ray smiled. "What do you think?"

"It's...a building," I forced a smile.

"It should be condemned," Egon deadpanned.

"I mean, it's not the most attractive place, but hey, it's your first gig!" Ray smiled, trying to be optimistic.

"Yeah, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around it," I ran my fingers through my hair as I thought out loud. "The reports said they heard inhuman growls, but the only deaths related to this place is the kid and the janitor who killed him."