Chapter Eight

When I got out of the bathroom, Ray, Peter, and Egon were gone and Janine was in their makeshift kitchen making me something to eat. By the smell of it, I believed that it was something with eggs. "Are you feeling any better?" Janine asked as I entered the dining area.

"Some," I mumbled. "Where are the guys?"

"They left."

"Left?"

"Yeah, they wanted to do some more research or something—I hope you're hungry, my mother used to cook this for me when I was little."

"What is it?"

"Egg in a hole." I looked over at the stove and smiled at the sight of bread toasting in a skillet as an egg cooked in the holes in the center of the bread.

"Looks delicious."

"My mom used to make these for me when I was a kid, but mine aren't as good."

"Nothing is ever as good as how your mom makes it," I smiled. Janine smiled back and began to serve the food onto plates. "Can I help?"

"Oh, no I got it—"

"Janine, I insist." Janine smiled once more and gently nodded.

"You can set the table if you'd like. Silverware is in the drawer by the fridge."

"Okay. Drinks?"

"I just made a pot of coffee, but I can make my own." I gently nodded and walked over to the silverware drawer and grabbed a couple of forks for us as well as a few napkins from the massive collection of take-out napkins that have accumulated over the years. I set the table and grabbed myself a cup of coffee, using one of the many unsold Ghostbusters gift shop mugs...unless they were actually sold and they just bought them themselves...

"Is it still hot?" Janine asked.

"Yes, thank you." I took a sip of my black coffee and sat down at the table, watching as Janine as she poured herself a cup of coffee and added so much sugar it hurt my teeth just watching her. Once seated, she and I began to eat in silence.

"This is great," I managed to say in between bites.

"Thanks," Janine smiled. "I'm glad you like it. I'm also glad you've got an appetite, I was beginning to wonder if you were coming down with something."

"I feel fine, it's probably just nerves." The dining area filled with an awkward silence.

"So...you're Egon's student?"

"Yes," I nodded. "It's my last year."

"Hell of a year."

"Ain't that the truth," I chortled.

"Any plans after you graduate?"

"Probably just to look for a job as fast as possible."

"Don't you wanna go home to visit your parents afterward to celebrate?" The space between us fell silent. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry—"

"It's fine," I nodded once more before wiping my mouth on a napkin. "Truth is, I never met my Dad and my mom never talked about him."

"Is she still around?"

"Yes...and no." Janine looked at me with confusion. "She's at the NYW Psychiatric Institute...I was told it was best not to visit."

"Why?"

"She's been deemed clinically insane." Janine looked at me with shock. "What?"

"Did you tell the guys that?"