Chapter Five

When we reached headquarters, Ray introduced me to the receptionist, who was sitting at her desk reading a magazine. "Lori, this is Janine Melnitz," Janine lowered her magazine and looked me over. "She's the receptionist here at headquarters. If you need anything and you can't find us, Janine will be here to assist you."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Janine." I smiled.

"Likewise." Janine deadpanned and turned to Ray. "Where's Egon?"

"He'll be here soon, he forgot some things at his place." Ray placed his hand on my shoulder. "Let's get you ready." Ray led me to the upstairs part of the building; machines lined the walls, two couches sat empty beside a tall machine with a screen and wires, and a small kitchen behind the couch to make coffee or microwavable food. "Take a seat Lori and I'll set up everything."

I sat down on the couch and looked around the room, trying my best to keep myself calm. Why was I so damn obsessed over this necklace? This necklace? No, my necklace. "Lori?" I quickly turned and looked at Peter, who was sitting next to me. "Are you alright?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked.

"You look upset."

"I'm not upset. Why would you think that I'm upset?"

"You're shaking the couch." I looked down at my leg, which was anxiously bouncing. I quickly placed my hand on my knee, forcing it to stop.

"I'm not upset, I just want this all to be over with." Ray walked back over to the couch area with a machine he had on wheels. I looked at the machine and back at Ray with concern.

"Oh," Ray chuckled. "This won't hurt you, it's just to scan your brain."

"Why do you need to scan my brain?" I asked.

"It's just procedure. We hook you up and ask you some questions and see how your brain responds. It'll tell us whether you're lying, telling the truth, angry, upset, every signal your brain sends, we'll be able to see it."

"Oh...cool."

"Yeah...cool."

"Sorry it took so long," Egon panted as he entered the upstairs loft. "Traffic was terrible, you'd think people in New York would learn what a green light is by now." Egon handed a helmet to Ray, who began to hook it up to the machine. "I took the helmet home with me last night to fix it a little, it should work without shocking anybody now." Egon looked at me and noticed that I looked terrified. "Don't worry Lori, I tested it at home and it's fine." He gave me a reassured smile, but it only helped slightly.

Ray carefully placed the helmet on my head and strapped me in; it looked like a spaghetti strainer with a bunch of bolts and wires coming out of it. "Okay Lori," Ray said as he turned on the machine. A thermal image of my head appeared on the screen. "Like I just explained, this machine measures brain waves and lights up certain areas when a part of the brain is activated. All you have to do is just relax and do as we say and this test will be done."

"Sounds simple enough." I nervously smiled. Ray smiled as he sat down on the couch in front of me; Egon sat on a bar stool as he monitored the machine.

"Okay, we're gonna start off simple to make sure the machine is functioning properly," Egon explained. "What is your name?"

"Lori Terres," I answered. Ray looked up at the screen and gave Egon a nod.

"Are you a student at Rockwell University?"

"Yes."

"Do you use any recreational drugs or consume any alcohol in large amounts?"

"No. I mean, I'll have the occasional beer, but that's about it." Ray looked up at the screen once more and nodded to Egon again.