Chapter Three

I was in downtown Manhattan; the air was cool and the streets were clear, but I was running. Why was I running? My bare feet ached from running over rubble an shards of glass. I ignored the pain, I had to, I needed to get away...but from what? Lightning flashed overhead and the ground fractured as it began to quake. Pink goo began to ooze out from the fissures and storm drains. Growls rumbled from behind me and I glanced over my shoulders to see two sets of glowing red eyes chasing me. I turned back around and froze as a cold hand wrapped around my throat. Giant red eyes stared into mine as a loud snarl filled my ears. I screamed.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! I quickly sat up in bed as my alarm clock screamed for me to wake up; the only time I ever appreciated it for doing its job. I was completely drenched in sweat and my heart was racing faster than I ever felt it before. That nightmare still had me shaking. I let out a sigh and wiped the hair from my face. "It was just a dream, Lori, get a grip."

I crawled out of bed and staggered into the bathroom for a much needed shower. I stood there as the Luke-warm water hit my back as I rested my face against the tile wall. Bits and pieces of my dream flashed before my eyes, the running, the goo, but nothing stood out more than the big red eyes. The red eyes that chased me were one thing, but the ones belonging to whatever grabbed me is whaat shook me to my core. That snarl...it sent chills down my spine. I've never heard anything like it before, nor did I want to ever again.

When I was finally clean, I stepped out into the bedroom and began to change, settling on a nice white o-neck half sleeved blouse and a nice pair of blue skinny jeans with a pair of black flats. As I slipped on my shoes, a sharp pain radiated through the bottom of my foot. I sat down on my bed and inspected my foot and, much to my surprise, I found a small cut. Inside it was a tiny piece of glass.

"What the hell?" I muttered out loud. This couldn't be real, it was a dream. I had to of stepped on some broken glass and not realized it, that or a piece was in my shoe. This coming from my dream was just as likely as John Lennon coming back from the dead. I tossed the piece of glass into my waste bin and shook my shoe free of any possible debris before finally slipping it on. I grabbed my backpack from beside the bed and tossed it over my shoulder and made my way for the door.

"Loooorrrrrriiiii." A faint voice whispered as I reached for the doorknob. I froze in place and turned back towards the room. The whispering stopped.

"Hello?" I called out, but I got no response. I turned back towards the door and stopped once more when my chest began to ache. I placed my hand where it hurt and the pain quickly faded. "Oh, I almost forgot." I rushed back over to my dresser and grabbed my necklace and placed it around my neck. The brief cold sensation returned and quickly faded. I ignored it and rushed out the door and made my way for the cafeteria for a quick breakfast.

The cafeteria was full of people, most of whom were watching cafeteria staff members arguing with a student over why he couldn't use the blocked off ice box. Trust me, dude, they're doing you a favor. I grabbed myself a couple of maple pancake muffins and coffee and made my way for Dr. Spengler's classroom, hoping he wouldn't mind if I ate in his class since I was early again. Then again, I was his favorite, so I don't think he would mind at all.

Again, when I reached Dr. Spengler's classroom, I found it empty. I let out a quiet sigh and took my seat and sipped on my coffee. "Eating in my classroom again, Miss Terres?" I heard Dr. Spengler speak up. I frantically looked around the room with confusion. "I'm over here by the desk." I slowly got up and crept towards the desk, but all I saw was his microscope.

"Uh..." I reluctantly peered through the lease. "Dr. Spengler?"

"Seriously?" I jumped as Dr. Spengler crawled out from under his desk and stood up. "You thought I was on the slide?"