A4: The Alliance

EightEight pushed her concerns down, putting a hand on her mask which resembled an African Wild Dog. She knew very well the mask allowed her to live among humans, but couldn't help those feelings of concern that came up from protecting her siblings when she saw the now titled Wyrmlings.

Children. Literal children who didn't seem to have parental guidance. The only female of the three, Cobra, looked the most unsettled about joining, but that just left EightEight to wonder why Cobra joined the two males. To be fair, she caught glimpses of Crow when she explored the city, but she never interacted with him.

But Cobra and Rat. Her focus returned to those two. Even after the two put on the masks, she noticed a watch on each of their left wrist. The male's was black and a reddish metal with a symbol that looked like teeth biting on meat. The female's watch was bulky, gray, and its faceplate had the symbol of a green hourglass.

"Hey, Afri. Hey, snap out of it."

EightEight blinked before looking at the person next to her. They wore a vulture mask, a large feathery cloak draped around them.

"What is it, Vulture?" EightEight asked in her native tongue, tilting her head slightly.

"One: I don't understand whatever you're saying. You learned American Sign Language for a reason. Two: You have a reason you had this weird vibe while staring at the Wyrmlings?" Vulture replied.

EightEight sighed before taking her ID mask made hands and signing to Vulture. 'Sorry, V. They just reminded me of my younger siblings.'

"Didn't pin you for the sisterly type, Afri. Guess you learn something new every day, huh?" Vulture stated.

'That notion is wildly-'

"Siblings, eh?"

The two looked at the voice, seeing Cat.

"You always seemed interested in helping out with hits that involve children. You're really good with 'em, you know," Cat commented, holding his tail-like scarf. "Maybe Dragua will put you in charge of the Wyrmlings's training or something."

"I hope not," EightEight gurgled.

...

Why did she say ANYTHING? EightEight looked at the three children, then back at Dragua. She signed, 'May I ask why you want me to watch over them, dragon-mask?'

Dragua smiled- his unnatural, toothy smile that reminded her of a Piscciss Volann- and said, "Well, I don't see anyone better than you to make sure of that."

"So, like, older sibling things, right? Not babysitters?" Crow asked, looking at EightEight. She nodded and Crow added, "Good. We're aren't babies anymore."

EightEight laughed. Celestialsapiens, Crow reminded her of one of her siblings. The Wyrmlings gave her an odd look and a laugh came out of Dragua.

"So... what do we call you?" Rat asked before jokingly suggesting, "Sister?"

She signed four letters. 'A-F-R-I.'

A few seconds later, Cobra repeated, "A...free? Afri?" EightEight nodded.

"Sister Afri!" Rat smiled. She fully looked at Rat and she could tell he had an evil smile under that ID mask.

"It is ok if we call you that, right?" Cobra asked. EightEight nodded, which caused Cobra to relax. She hadn't realized Cobra had tensed. "If you say so, Sister Afri."

Dragua's smile seemed to get wider. "Good, good. Start training them, would you? Even some battle knowledge is valuable, as you know."

She knew very well. She forced herself to push down a memory. She nodded. Dragua kept up his smile as he walked out of the room, silence reigning until the door closed behind him.