Missed Calls

Faye

Why must giants be so loud? "That's what I'm saying! The only reason he missed the shot is that the guy tripped him! The ref didn't even call a foul!"

       "They would've lost anyway, they were down fifteen points!" My entire being shook when Flynn set his hands harshly on the table. "They didn't have a chance-"

       "Exactly! The Ravens never had a chance because they suck, everyone knows that!" Mike shouted at his brother, who clearly wasn't listening.

"The ref was conspiring against them! It wasn't fair!" Chris watched his brothers fight with an amused smile while my ears bled. I wasn't sure it was possible to push my hands to my ears any more than I already had, but I was just happy I decided not to sit next to Flynn. The little chair and table I was supposed to sit in had clattered to the floor a few minutes ago and I didn't think anyone had even noticed. 'That would've been me down there, except I wouldn't still be perfectly intact like the chair.'

Gabriel

"I don't understand why these schools allow humans. It's a complete inconvenience." My mom spoke as she scooped mashed potatoes onto another glass plate.

"Yeah...I guess," I sat at the island table, only half paying attention to what my mom was saying. I had a ridiculous amount of work to do.

"You know I got a call from your sister's school today. They said she picked up some human kid without his consent. All I could think about was how stupid it was to send her to the office for that. If the humans are so afraid of being held, then they shouldn't be going to that school."

"They don't have separate schools here, mom."

"Well, they should. It's not fair that giants are always blamed in situations like this. Bella's only seven and she's never been around humans before! That definitely should have been put into consideration before she got in trouble. Don't you think, Gabe?"

"Mhm," I hummed absentmindedly.

"Your poor sister came home crying today, she said they yelled at her. The whole system is messed up, Bella's young, she doesn't know any better." My mother walked over to the island, peeking at my work. "How about you? How was your first day? Ryan told me he had to pick you up from detention, what was that about?"

"Just a dress code thing. I didn't tie my tie properly."

"You had to stay three extra hours for that?!"

"No, two hours and forty-five minutes."

"As if that makes a difference. My poor baby had such a bad day," mom walked around the table and embraced me, maybe it would've been comforting if I didn't have so much to do. "Did you talk to anyone?" My mom questioned and went back to serving the food.

"Yeah, I met a few people, Flynn and Mmm..., I can't remember the other guy's name." I pondered on it for a while before giving up. "Oh! And there was a girl too, two actually, Evelyn and Faye."

"Faye?"

"Yeah, I don't think that's her actual name though. She interrupted the teacher before she said it."

"Interesting... help me put these on the table?"

"Yeah," I was a little hesitant to leave my computer, but I helped my mom anyway.

Faye

Flynn finally calmed himself enough to sit back down. "What do you think, Faye?" I held my breath, suddenly everyone's attention was on me. "I dunno...I don't watch much Turney."

"Yeah..." Mike spoke, "but do you think the ref would go out of his way to sabotage a game against a team that already stinks?"

"No, I guess not." Mike smiled smugly at Flynn, who wasn't having any of it.

"You're manipulating her!" Suddenly the minute of calm in the room ended. "She'll agree with anything you say, you spent weeks in that room with h-"

"Again with the room? Let it go, Flynn! She's her own person, she thinks for herself."

"She CAN think for herself, but you're always breathing down her neck." The bickering went on and on... and on until Richard finally shut the two up. Flynn wasn't wrong though, "She" never got to say how "She" was feeling, because "She" was never far from Mike.

********************************

Elisa had stumbled through the door roughly seven minutes ago, but she hadn't lingered long. She mumbled something about being tired and having to take a shower, heels click-clacking through the foyer.

I tugged Mike's sleeve, "can you take me up to my room?" Richard, Flynn, Mike, and I were the only ones left at the table, at some point Chris had managed to slip away without anyone noticing. My mom had been the type to do that, someone who would suddenly vanish before anyone could catch her.

Careful fingers wrapped around my waist, I crossed my legs in Mike's palm, running my smaller fingers over its ridges. It had become a habit of mine despite Mike saying "quit it" numerous times, but he was too nice to stuff me in his pocket.

I slid from Mike's hand to the hardwood floor. I marveled at the newly built house by the window of my oversized room, "thanks," I looked up at Mike before making my way to my new house. He looked uneasy like he wanted to say something, but instead, he mumbled "goodnight," tucked in his lips, and left without another word. It wasn't until I made it to my room that I began to feel tired. I was abruptly reminded of the back of my shoe digging into my ankle. "Stupid new shoes." I practically collapsed onto my bed, its plush surface bouncing ever so slightly. I undid the little golden buckles on my shoes. It was clear the sinful shoes had no mercy, "ouch," was the only word I could think of when staring at my bruised and barely bleeding ankles. "I'm wearing tights tomorrow."

I hobbled down the stairs on the balls of my feet to get my phone from my bag in the kitchen. 8:57, it read, great. I had time to take a bath and maybe start my English work.

When the tub was filled a few inches from the brim I had to leave my house to find the soap I swore I saw among the field of boxes and bubble wrap. A chill ran through me, stepping down the porch stairs. It's astonishing how even after living there for two weeks, I still struggled to feel even an ounce of comfort in the luxurious home. In fact, it made me feel afraid, insignificant like at the orphanage. The most attention I'd gotten there was when I first arrived. At thirteen I was tossed into the orphanage with too many kids for me to be thought of as an individual. The other kids and I were rarely referred to by our names, it was always "you" or "the children." Not that I could blame the supervisors for that. The only people that called me by my actual name were Fiona and Amy... "Oh my God, Amy!" I suddenly realized I had accidentally been ghosting her for weeks! I ignored my aching feet as I ran up to the bathroom. I tapped on my phone vigorously, typing in the password for my account. How had I forgotten to log onto my account? I pressed 'log in' and the small device immediately bombarded me with little *ding* sounds.

Aims

+1860__ - ___

Friday, October 15, 2021

A: How r u? 8:46 AM

r u there yet 8:47 AM

Helloo? 1:24 PM

Saturday, October 16, 2021

The 6s found ur candy stash 11:36 AM

im stealing the gummies

r u ghosting me? 12:05 PM

ANSWER!!! 12:10 PM

Monday, October 18, 2021

are you okay? 9:13 PM

If ur upset... let me help u.

Talk to me 9:19 PM

please?

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Interview today!! wish me luck 10:35 AM