"Why'd You Move?"

It wasn’t long before I discovered I had no idea where I was going. My dad had sent me off to the cafeteria for lunch. He’d given me directions, but they certainly were not helping. ‘Ask someone for help,’ I told myself and I would’ve if everyone didn’t look so urgent. I didn’t want to bother them. ‘They would think I’m stupid or maybe I was just using that as an excuse not to talk to people… I kept my head lowered toward my phone whenever I saw someone walking in my direction. Not that I thought they would start talking to me, I just didn’t want them to see me. So I didn’t look up, I pretended to be doing something of importance on my phone. As far as I was concerned, if I couldn’t see them then they couldn’t see me. Or at least I wouldn’t know they could.

     I grasped onto the small device as if it were some sort of invisibility cloak. It felt like one to me. At the time I was blissfully unaware of the vibrations my steps created for my smaller counterparts that were a dead giveaway of my presence. 

     I heard a faint voice ahead of me. It wasn’t directed toward me though, “are you lost, sweetheart?”
     “No, I’m fine, thanks.” I looked up at the vaguely familiar voice to see Faye. She wore a black, long-sleeved dress with a rather flowy looking skirt, mostly transparent tights, and a pair of black boots. Her hair was pulled back into a ponytail that looked like someone had vigorously rubbed their hands all over right after tying it. ‘Ask her,’ I told myself, ‘you know her and she seems to know where she’s going.’
‘I don’t know her, not really.’
    ‘But you talked to her just yesterday.’
    ‘For five minutes’
    ‘You had a conversation’
    ‘For five minutes!’ 
    ‘Just go. Ask her, what’s the worst that could happen?’
    ‘I don’t know’
    ‘Ask her, just say:’
     “Do you know where the cafeteria is?” My thoughts burst from my mind and slipped through my lips. Faye stopped in her tracks and looked back at me. I stood an unusually far distance from her, I didn’t realize this until her mouth moved and I heard nothing. I took a few steps toward her and noticed for the first time how the platform she stood on shook with my every step. ‘Does that always happen when I walk?’ I thought. “Sorry, I didn’t hear you.”
    “No, I have no idea where it is, sorry. That’s where I’m going too, but I can’t seem to find it soo…” The human took a few steps back, still looking up at me.

Faye

    I wanted to walk away but Gabriel was still standing there. Did he want me to say something else? “...I was told something about it being in the ‘A-wing so I was sort of trying to find that.” 
    “Oh, if I’d known that I probably would’ve been there by now. I passed that section a bit ago.” 
    “Oh, okay, how convenient. Would you mind showing me?” Normally I would be nervous to go anywhere alone with a giant, but at the time my empty stomach was in control. Besides, It’s not like Gabriel was a complete stranger.

    My steps got increasingly faster as the two of us walked on. Gabriel hadn’t even offered to carry me, he just turned on his heels ad began walking back the way he came. Not that I wanted to be carried, I just found it a little strange. Most, if not all of the giants in this town seemed to be so comfortable with humans and humans with them. He was new too though, so perhaps he’d come from a giant town, there weren’t many of them left in the U.S., but they did still exist. I speed walked beside him, trying to match my human-sized strides with his gigantic ones.

Gabriel

    I tried to walk slowly, taking half-steps instead of full ones. I could see her rushed strides out of the corner of my eye. I felt bad, but it was either that or carrying her. There was no way I was about to purposely put someone's entire life into my hands.

_______________________________

    We made it to the cafeteria in a little under fifteen minutes. After getting our food we chose a table in the back and sat down to eat.
I looked up from my phone to see Faye scrolling through hers as well. “How’s the pasta?”