Part 2

“Ronaldo! Ronaldo! How did we do?” The squeals came from both of my sisters as the crowd parted for them in their costumes.

“The best Thunder and Lightning heroines I’ve ever seen,” I replied honestly.

Eliana pouted, pulling the pigs’ ears off hers. “We’re the only girls to ever play the Twins.”

“I thought you ladies were brilliant,” came the drawling voice from behind me.

“Absolutely,” added a similar voice.

I shook my head slightly at the men who’d spoken. Even if I couldn’t tell them apart, Barak and Gunter’s accented English was unmistakeable.

EIiana and Cyntia blushed and giggled in the dark, both of their eyes fixed on the only other twins they knew. I hoped to preserve their innocence a little longer, for there was precious little left in the slave settlement.

“You should have played the part,” Cyntia said. “Thunder and Lightning, real heroes! Not girls in dresses.” She swished her skirt, smiling as she saw how many stared at the skin she showed.

“Not us. Gunter and I couldn’t have kept everyone enthralled the way you girls did,” replied Barak with a chuckle. “We’ll wish you good night, though, for we have a long day’s work ahead tomorrow.” He and his brother stood and bowed their heads. Their footsteps trudged off into the dark.

I wished my sisters such disinterested protectors as the men they admired so much, but it was more likely they’d fall to Ike or his like, men with more power than sense.

“C’mon, let’s get some sleep. Tomorrow I might get to see the inside of the palace,” I told the girls, wrapping an arm around each set of shoulders to escort them safely back to our hovel. I prayed that some hero would come to save them, for they were no match for men or monsters. I was just one man and I feared for the day I would not be strong enough to protect them properly.