Part 12

“Ronaldo! You’re alive!” Eliana’s squeal sounded like a dream.

I looked up and nearly cried. Both of my sisters looked healthy and happy, dressed in garments similar to the little siren who sat silently at my side.

A three-way hug ensued, until Diana coughed. The door clicked shut behind Barak as he and Gunter put their backs to it.

An arm around each of my sisters, I saw red. “Why haven’t you helped us before? Do you know what we’ve been through since the floods? How many of us she’s killed?”

“Ronaldo…” Cyntia began but I hushed her.

Diana stood and pointed at one of the many standards decorating the room. “Because to take her out without a replacement system of government will only lead to more anarchy. Cut one head off and seven will spring up, like our dragon.” I stared at the standard. “I need a human who can lead the reconstruction. One who is not after power. I need a good man. I want you.”

I laughed. “They’ll never accept me. They want Thunder and Lightning, the hero twins of legend.” I pointed at Gunter and Barak. “They’re the men you want.”

Both men laughed and Diana with them. “The leader I choose will have their support, but he will be a legend of his own. When he returns, he will have the power to control dragons.”

I snorted. “Dragons? Now that’s a story I haven’t heard!”

Diana looked at Barak. “Can you take the girls to wait for us? We will join you shortly.” Her hands indicated that ‘we’ consisted of me, Gunter and herself.

The other three left.

Gunter took the chair on the other side of me, placing his hand on the desk. His skin started to darken.

“What the fuck?” I exclaimed as his hand went from the same colour as mine to a shimmery copper, then a deep bronze, before lightening to pale gold like Cyntia’s hair.

Gunter grinned. “Our legends said dragons would return. There are three of us – Barak, me and our half-brother.” He winked. “Legends also said we’re irresistible to ladies and that definitely holds true.”

I jumped to my feet. “You stay away from my sisters!”

“My sons are not permitted to consort with humans,” Diana said softly. “There are plenty of our own kind for them to choose from – a willing ocean, as it were.” She smiled at Gunter, whose hands had returned to normal. “Go help your brother.”

He left with a nod.

“You’re not as young as you look, are you?” I asked.

“No. I’m the bigger bitch you referred to,” she said with a shrug. “You don’t need to agree immediately. First, permit me to show you the world we could have, if you can lead your people well.”

She held out her hand.

I took her diminutive digits in mine.