Part 9

I lost all sense of caution to keep control over myself. I started to sing aloud.

“Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are. Up above the sky so high, like a diamond in the sky. Twinkle twinkle little star…” I sang so loudly it took me a moment to realise that I was the only one singing and the little siren was laughing at me. I stopped, hoping she’d think I was zombified like the other normal people who weren’t half deaf.

“You have a sweet call,” she said as she unlocked the chains at my ankles. I stretched my legs as she climbed atop me to reach my wrists. First one hand, then the other was freed.

Fuck you, bitch.

I shoved her off me as I launched myself off the bed, twisting the knife that appeared in her hands from her grasp and holding it to her throat. I pushed her toward the desk, bending her forward as I ran the knife across the straps of her thin dress. A line of blood appeared on her smooth skin and I felt a momentary pang of regret, but I steeled myself. True to my word, I tore the dress from her body and pressed against her.

Now it came to the point, I hesitated.

Barak coughed and excused himself, his hand to his mouth.

I looked back at the little siren I’d pinned to the desk. I felt sorry for her.

“Why don’t you call your guards to help you?” I taunted her. “Don’t you trust them?”

I looked back at Barak, but he was impassive. He could have been a statue, his face held so little expression.

The little siren swallowed, her throat moving against the knife blade. “Ready the girls and bring them here,” she said softly. “Both of you!”

Barak and Gunter left. I became aware of something cold against my balls.