Part 11

“So I know what you don’t want. Let’s get to what you do.”

She’d tied the straps at her shoulders so her dress showed less of her breasts but more of her legs. I tried not to think about either.

“What happened to fucking me and killing me? Isn’t that what you siren bitches are supposed to do?” I asked, annoyed. She talked too much.

“It seems that is what our reputation is for, yes,” she observed. “However, I have other ideas.”

Would she ever get to the fucking point? “Like what?”

“First, I want to know why you stopped. You could have had me and killed me. You had nothing to lose, for you felt your life was already forfeit.”

Observant little bitch. “I told you, I don’t fuck fish.”

The look she gave me was older than her years. “Please. If all you have to offer is bullshit, I can find someone else.” Her eyes were calculating. “And your sisters would lose you.”

The reminder brought me up short. “Are you threatening them?”

“I don’t need to. You’re all that stands between them and the sort of violence that started this mess. Cantrella was sane once, too.”

I let this sink in. “Maybe I’ve had enough rape and violence. Maybe it’s not always necessary.”

She looked at me. “If it were Cantrella and not I who had chosen you, would you have spared her?”

“The Bitch?” The words slipped out before I thought about them. “After all she’s done, the people she’s killed, the life she’s forced us to live?”

“Yes,” Diana said softly. “She was raped as a girl and she’s hated humans ever since.”

I shook my head. “Look, that’s bad and all, but she’s a crazy killer now. There’s nothing and no one can stop her without killing her.”

“The Council does not support her actions,” she replied. “She can be confined and kept from harming anyone else.”

I started to laugh. “If they could do that, why haven’t they?”

“Because they needed a replacement for her. A matriarch with the blood and authority to order her obedience.” Diana’s voice hardened.

“A bigger bitch?” I lost it laughing. “Yeah, that’ll really work.”