Part 15

The last of the dragon standards were pulled down, so many heads decapitated. In their place was the garish coloured one Diana had insisted upon. She’d had me grow my hair and wear a dress. She swore it was only for ceremonial occasions but I still felt stupid.

My standard showed me in the ceremonial robes with wings to symbolise the cloud catcher. Behind me were two dragons in the light of dawn and that is how I stood on the east-facing steps of the palace on the day of my inauguration as their President. Of course, the dragons were Barak and Gunter, looking like the human heroes they were, but they might as well have been dragons to my people. On my right hand but a few steps lower stood Diana, my consort, looking as subordinate as she was capable of being, my little siren-slave. If only they knew.

It was dusk when the day’s dull duties were over and I was permitted to retire in the palace. Diana followed me to my oval-shaped office to divest me of the ceremonial robes.

I felt like Pele more than Ronaldo tonight, touched by the unseen Hand of God. I didn't dare try to explain that to Diana, though.

“So, I get everything I want, freedom for myself and my people, with the sirens back in the sea and my sisters safe,” I mused. “What do you get out of it?”

“The same,” Diana said shortly.

I knew her better now. “You haven’t told me your price for this.”

She smiled. “A girl.”

My heart iced over. “You can’t have my sisters.”

She laughed. “Not a human girl. I want an heir.”

I felt lost. “You have the dragon twins, heroes here and everywhere. What do you need another child for?”

“Only a girl can be my heir among my people. No dragon can rule.” Her zip purred as it descended. Her dress slid to the floor. Diana draped herself across my desk. “Give me a girl, Ronaldo. You gave me your word it would be slowly over a desk. So be it.”

There’s a naked woman on the White House desk and she wants me to give it to her.

I sighed and dropped my pants.

The price I pay for a Presidency.