Chapter 3

The town of Dover was bustling when they arrived. Hortense informed Charles of the peculiar seal, as they walked towards the inn. Charles laughed, apparently bemused by the event.

"He is one of the Earl's men," he said as they stopped to let a group of people go past.. They stood next to a large bakery, filled with bakers who filled the air with the luscious smell of fresh bread. It almost made Hortense want to be a mortal again, just so she could taste it....

"Do all the Earl's men turn into seals then?" She enquired as they left the bakery and into the dirty streets once more.

"No just him, he's a Therianthrope," Charles said leading them down an alley. Hortense minded her step for the alley's path was covered in human and animal excrement, Charles did not seem to care despite wearing more fancier then she did. "You'll have to get used to this," he said gesturing at the dirty path, as they came out of the alley. "it is everywhere."

"It is much the same in France," she confessed as she caught sight of a large inn, with a picture of a crown over the entrance just ahead. It was large, perhaps its height was emphasised by the small houses built around it that made it seem, gigantic. The inn like the houses was made from a greying wood, an uninspiring piece of architecture Hortense thought. The building was two stories and had a small balcony on the second, supported by two grey beams. A few revellers were making their way out when they approached. She could tell they were very drunk despite it having only just turned dark.

"And stay out till you sober up!" Shouted, what Hortense took to be the innkeeper. A heavy set man with very little neck and body made of fatty muscle; he had wispy greying hair and blue watery eyes. He opened his large arms in welcome on seeing them.

"My Lord!" He exclaimed in his gravelly voice ."Your room is ready and a young maid is up there," he gave him a wink, "compliments from the house."

"Thank you very much but I do not need her," Charles charmed, placing a hand on Hortense's shoulder. "As you can see I already have company."

"I shall remove her right away! One moment," he grinned before disappearing into the inn and shouting orders.

"A charming man," Charles smiled as they stood in the street waiting.

"Yes very," Hortense smirked with raised eyebrows which won a grin from Charles.

After two more minutes the innkeeper reappeared, followed by a slender young woman whom he threw out before dusting off his hands as if just thrown the rubbish out.

"Now come in my Lord and Lady," he stretched when he took in her wet and weathered clothes. He really is a charmer Hortense smiled, following Charles into the inn.

The inn was dark, with only candles on tables and counter tops to illuminate the room. There were many shadowy corners and dark clothed figures in the room too, which made Hortense feel a little uneasy. After finding out vampires did have a weakness, she found herself wondering what was underneath their cloaks.

The innkeeper led them to a large fireplace where a pig was on a spit, being turned unhappily by a small child with long greasy ratty hair.The fireplace was located (rather dangerously Hortense thought) to the stairs which led to the inn's rooms.

"My nephew," the innkeeper said patting the boys shoulder, who grimaced at the contact. "Now can I get you anything? Food? Wine? Ale? A bath? You smell awfully like the sea if you don't mind me saying miss, did you fall in?" He laughed merrily, slapping the boy on the back nearly causing him to fall into the fire.

"A bath would be welcome thank you," Charles said with a smile putting a coin into the innkeepers hand, and the boys for that matter too.

"Would you like two baths-"

"One please," Hortense interrupted, "especially if I do as you say, smell like the sea."

Ten minutes later Hortense was in a splintery wooden bath, with hot rose scented water up to her chin. She laid back and enjoyed the illusion sensation of heat, as vampires were immune to temperature. They could not tell whether something was hot or cold with their bodies, like a human can. Instead they have to rely on tell tale signs - the steam that came vapours emitting from the water for example, meant the bath was 'hot'.

While Hortense laid in the bath; which was located in a small on the second floor of the inn; Charles read her the conditions of joining Edward VIII's court.

"You may not on any occasion take control/glamour a member of the court or the Royal family, or you will be executed."

"Charming," she laughed scrubbing her back with a handful of petals. "Why do you have to read this to me? Can I not just sign it and read it later?"

"I suppose," he pondered, "but if you did do anything on this list, I could be blamed because I didn't read the list to you."

"Is there anything I can do?"

"You can sleep with anyone of the Royal family or the court, for money ot pleasure, "he smirked, raising his eyebrows suggestively. "As long as you have their written consent of course."

"Does that include the King?" She asked, "I have heard he is a very handsome man."

"Yes, that does include the King," Charles frowned. "His wife is also very beautiful."

"Oh."