Chapter Seven: Aislinn's Story

Jasmine's POV

"Hey Atticus, are you alright?" I asked, he still hasn't answered me yet.
Aislinn whispered to me, "Is he okay?"
Trying not to worry her, I told her he's fine, he was just tired. We finally got out of the desert but instead, we ended up in a forest. We continued to walk until Atticus stopped at a big rock and sat there. I guess he was tired. So Aislinn and I decided to stop here too. This forest is kind of familiar to me. Was this the place where Aladdin and Morgiana met Sinbad?
"Are we close to Balbadd?" Aislinn asked.
"I think so" my heart was beating. I was this close to meeting Aladdin. I look over to Atticus, he's still gloomy. I wonder what his history is with Star City. It got darker so Aislinn and I started a fire to warm us up.
"Ahhh, it's so warm," she said.
I chuckle "Yes, it is"
Atticus was still in the same spot as before. I was getting concerned for him. Well, maybe later he'll feel better. I took food packs from my backpack and gave some to Aislinn. As I was eating, I look over at her and wondered why she traveled so far away from her home. I was curious so I decided to ask her.
"Um, Aislinn if you don't mind telling me," she looks at me curiously, "Why did you leave your home?" I asked. She stopped eating and look down.
"You see," she said, hesitating
"I.. haven't been home for 10 years."
"What? Why?" I furrowed my eyebrows, "Aislinn, what happened?" She look straight into my eyes and began telling me what happened.

10 years ago

Aislinn's POV

"Why father?!" My oldest sister, Iris sobbed.
"I don't want to go, please don't do this to me!" she begged and pleaded but he wouldn't budge. Instead, he pushed her aside and she fell to the ground hard.
"Please don't do this to our daughter" My mom pleaded "She's only 13." She kneeled on the floor, begging my father.
"Shut up, woman! She's old enough to make a profit for us and besides, we already have one other daughter and she's useless" he said, pointing at me as my twin brother, Aslan and I was hiding behind the corner. We were trembling, on the verge of crying. We didn't want Sis to go. I felt a hand on my back. I look to see who was behind me, it was grandpa. "Grandpa..." I burst into tears. Aslan was comforting me but he was crying too.
"You two, don't cry," he said.
"But Sis is going to leave us and I don't want her to leave" Aslan sobbed.
"Don't worry my dears, she won't be leaving" I and Aslan perked up.
"Really?" Asian and I said simultaneously.
"Yes, just leave it all to me," he said smiling as he patted our heads.
"Okay.." we said.
Grandpa walked out and started arguing with father. I couldn't make out what they were staying. However what I did understand was, mom and sister were crying, father was drinking, and father was beating up grandpa until he fell to the ground, bleeding.
"Grandpa... no, grandpa" I ran up to him and broke down crying. "Grandpa.."
"That's what you get old man, now beat it!" My father is still drinking as he walked away to his room. I wanted to confront him but I was scared. But Aslan decided to, he ran up to father, grabbed him, and bit him.
"Ahhh, you bastard, he kicked him and started beating him too.
"No, Aslan.." My mom tried to stop him, but he yelled at her.
"Ahh, I'm bored, now leave me alone" He went to his room.
"Mommy, I'm scared," I said. She came up to me and hugged me and Sis.
"I'm so sorry, you two" she started crying. "I'm sorry..."

A week later

It was pouring hard outside, and it was grandpa's funeral. My mom, my siblings, and a few other people.
"Grandpa..." I wept.
I look over to my brother, he had bandages on his face, arm, and in few other places.
"Aslan..." I started to cry again. At this point, my eyes were red and swollen.
"Aislinn, don't worry, I'm fine" he smiled, weakly. I look over to Sis and mom. Mom was still crying and Sis looked at me.
"Are you really going to leave today, Sis?" She didn't respond and only looked down in silence. After a few hours of mourning, we decided to go back home.

There, at the front entrance of our house, father was waiting to take Sis away. I didn't want her to go. Mom and Aslan need her. Suddenly, an idea pooped up in my head. Before father could take Sis away, I went up to him.
"Father" I weakly said. He looked to me, "Eh? What do you want, you little brat?"
Here I go. I was scared for my life but I knew this would protect my family.
"How about you take me instead?" Everyone was shocked.
"What? Why would I someone useless as you?" his voice bellowed. I was terrified.
"B-because I'm younger than s-so I'll become more beautiful when I grow up." He was contemplating on it. "A-and you'll n-need her h-help" I shivered.
"No... Aislinn, you don't have to do this." Sis came up to me.
"Shut it!" father pushed Sis away then looked at me. "You're right, I'll take you over her. Get ready, we'll be leaving in an hour. He went inside to go to his room. I turned around to help Sis up, mom and Aslan came up to me with worried/angry faces.

"Why would you do that?" Mom said.
"Please don't go, we can figure out this together," Aslan said tearing up.
"I'm sorry, but I just wanted to do something to help," I sniffled,
"You guys need Sis more than me so I need to do this" I looked down.
"Oh, dear" Mom cupped my face and started to tear up. "You're important to us too" she wiped away my tears. She hesitated for a second and then she looked straight into my eyes. "Are you sure that you want to do this?" she asked but Sis and Aslan protested.
"I'm sorry but we don't have many options. So yes, I'm sure."
"Then.." mom quickly went inside to our room and we followed her, she kneeled on the floor. She started to knock lightly on the floorboard until there was a hollow sound. She pulled the floorboard off of the floor. I never noticed that before. She grabbed something and put it back.
"Hey, mom what is that?" Aslan asked. Mom put in my hands a pouch and an envelope. I was curious as to what was inside the pouch. When I opened it, I was so shocked at what was inside it.
"Mom..." I looked at her. "Don't you guys need this more than me?"
"Use this money for when you escape and only open the envelope when it is time, okay?"
She started to cry. I cried with her, hugging her. Aslan and Sis hugged us together.

An hour later

"Are you ready, brat?" father asked.
"Y-yes," I was so scared to go but knowing that this is for my family, I dared to go on. My family hugged me one last time.
"You know, you don't have to do this, it's not too late" Sis implied.
"No, Mom and Aslan need you here."
"Fine, but promise me you'll be safe."
"I will so don't worry about me"
"You dummy," Aslan said
"We'll always worry about you so please," he blubbered "come back home as soon as you can!"
"Stop it, you're going to make me cry too" I hugged him but we were interrupted by father.
"Stop all your blubbering and get your move on," he demanded. I hugged them one last time.
"I'll see you guys soon, so this isn't goodbye forever" We started walking, I waved them goodbye. Hopefully, I'll escape one day and see them soon. My eyes started to form tears but I wiped them away quickly and I told myself, I can do this.