Chapter 27: Blood in the Rain

The silence that fell on the world quickly faded from reality as the bodies of cheetahs and lions clashed in the rain. True, we outnumbered the Pride, but they were superior fighters, we had to be smart. One by one, I found myself in conflict with whom I considered my family not too long ago. The lions charge was brutal, but I only had eyes for one...

"Scar! Where are you!" I roared at every lion that crossed my path. Brutally slashing my sheathed paws at those who crossed my path, so as to not cause harm to my family by blood. Two approaching lionesses appear out of nowhere and charge my blind side, albeit for a yellow flash.

"Fuli!" I scream as I force the lionesses off of my mate,

"It's okay, I can still fight!" She boasts confidently,

That's when we looked up, and heard Heshima,

"Azaad, Now!!" He growled as he fought off a lioness,

Just as planned, Kovu and Azaads warriors came riding the nearby hillside and ran straight into the pride unexpectedly. Catching them off guard giving us an advantage.

Bunga riding atop of Beshte with Ono circling above almost made me smile as I watched them charge into the crowd of fighting cats.

"ZUKA ZAMA!!"

"TWENDE KIBOKO!!"

As the two groups collide my head arises to see everything happening in slow motion.

The rain that encircled our fight and crashed onto our bodies, suddenly felt like a light drizzle,

The wind grew quieter as did the sound of combat,

Cheetahs overwhelming lions, fighting in numbers,

Lions tearing apart cheetahs, viciously fighting, but noticeably concerned about something...

Heshima and Fuli fighting side by side, father and daughter, king and princess,

Beshte and Bunga using their bravery and strength to their advantage, fighting just like my old friends did when I was on the Lion Guard,

Kovu unleashing his wrath. Funny, after the image of scar trained him to be an assassin, he would turn against him and use the very skills he was trained in to our advantage, fighting like a caged animal.

Azaad getting towered over by another lion, ripping his back open, but still getting up and fighting. It felt strange, weeks ago I could not see myself trusting him in combat, now he is one of our most courageous fighters.

The spell of the conflict around me returned to normal when a lioness roared and the pride pulled back and away from us back to the canyon side. As they do, that's when the horrors of the situation finally unfolded.

Many lionesses and cheetahs were dead or dying. Blood soaked the rain that hit the ground, turning the mud into a crimson red.

Beshte was covered from head to heel in bruises and deep scratch marks along his side. He stood strong and carried his name with honor, I think even he knows his father is smiling on him.

Bunga was surprisingly okay, but he is a honeybadger. I don't think I wound even put myself between one of them and whatever they were trying to get to, just that tough I guess.

Azaad has a big opening in his back, but he somehow still stood up, eager to fight again. The grit in his eyes matches the fire in his heart. I guess he really has changed.

Kovu has been scratched up all over his legs, and had gained a new scar on his eye, matching mine. His muscles looked tense as if he had just fought his own, wait, I guess he just did.

Fuli had scratches all over her muzzle and a few deeper ones in her underbelly, making me flinch in pain as I watch her wince in the pain in such sensitive areas, sustained so she could save my hide when I wasn't paying attention in the fight.

Heshima has a long and deep claw mark that ran down his entire side. While others tried to mend it, it was clear that if he were hurt any further, he would be gone. His figure walks over to me, surprisingly not limping.

"He wasn't here." I say, almost defeated,

"You are a free Lion, why do you stay? You do not deserve this death." He asks,

"I've deserved death for so long, I just never thought it would all come to this." I say, choking out the last few words,

"Let's go Kion,"

I turn to him, almost misty eyed,

"Together, we will make him hear us." He says with a grin, using my line, and a sly grin makes its way across my face,

That's when I saw a lone lioness, struggling to stand back up. Multiple cheetahs charge her, but my loud roar keeps them back. I slowly walk up to her, being ever so cautious as she could easily attempt to pounce me. But she just rolled over to face me, bleeding heavily, that's when I noticed it...

"Who did this to you?"

I ask, sympathy pouring from my voice, gesturing to her face which had deep gashes up the cheeks, and her tongue which had partially been cut from her head.

"Simba..." she breaths heavily

"He came with, the wrath of the one called Scar and enslaved us, you tried to convince us, but it took away everyone... but when I tried to escape and look for help..."

she then held up her arm, to which it had several deep bite marks, then her head suddenly hangs backwards, but her eyes remain open. I raise my paws to her eyes, closing them and letting her be at peace.

Heshima and Fuli walk up to me, both clearly not knowing what to say.

"Kion..." I hear her soft voice, like music,

"I will stay." I utter,

"No one is making you stay, you have young to watch over." Heshima states,

"Our cubs won't get to know peace until scar is gone, and I am going to make sure of it."

I turn away to face the rest of the coalition,

"Scars reign of tyranny has scarred generations of our kind. But today, today we will fight. For our cubs,"

One by one, more cheetahs start paying their attention over to me,

"and their cubs, and their cubs after them so they will not know this pain. They will know what we did on this day,"

My voice had begun carrying so much emotion, I didn't know what to say. I rather just spoke from the heart,

"that we rose in defiance, willing to give anything and everything, so they may live in prosperity! Today, let Scar's river run red!"

The Coalition cheers in response and forms up ready for one last push to fight. If we can find Scar and kill him, it over. We will have won. At this point, we've lost so much that if we don't win, it'll all have been a waste.