Chapter 12 ~ Tense

Fayette

I'm sitting in my first period with Elias. Me and Him have been talking throughout the free time that the teacher gave us. He told me that Dylan showed up to practice and talked with him. He said that Eli would know why he cheated on Abby and assaulted me soon enough.

I was cornered for his well being the second Elias said that. Why would there even be a bad enough reason, and why would he take it out on us? I don't want to think much about it so I grab my Chemistry book and review for the quiz I have next period. Elias seems to be going over some of his work too since we fall into a comfortable silence.

The bell rings indicating that the first period is going to start in 5 minutes. I put all my things in my bag and get ready to walk out. I wait for Elias at the door since his class is next to mine.

He comes out and smiles at me as we walk to class not saying one single word. I like that me and Eli don't have to talk in order for us to be comfortable with each other. It's like we could sit in silence forever and be more comfortable than ever.

Me and Elias part ways as he continues in front of me walking into his classroom. As he walks I notice how slumping his shoulders are. He seems to be stressed and tired. I hope we didn't keep them both up too late last night.

I take my seat in Chemistry class and review my notes for the quiz. I close my book as soon as the teacher walks in. He hands us the quizzes and I do so.

☁️

"Well I got an A- on my Chemistry test." I say, sitting with Cole and Abby at lunch. Elias is running behind, he had to talk with a teacher.

"Fay!" Abby says and playfully hits my shoulder. "I'm so proud of you, I know that was a hard quiz for you to study." She says understanding the frustration I went through to get a good grade.

"Yeah but I wish I had gotten more than that." I say looking down. Yes I am one of those people who are not even happy with an A-. It makes me think that I can do better and that with a little more studying I could have gotten an A+.

"Don't beat yourself up Fay, I get a C and I jump for joy." Cole says eating his food. I laugh because I know how ridiculous I sound.

We start to eat in silence when we see a book bag being thrown on the table. I look up and see an pissed off Elias. He sits next to me and puts his head down. "What's wrong?" I ask.

"My teacher won't raise my grade by one percent just because I didn't get a higher grade on the test." He says. Gosh that sucks, I hate when that happens.

"I'm sorry Elias." I say rubbing his back for a sense of comfort. It seems to work since he seems to relax a little.

I bring my hand to his shoulders and feel how tense he is. "Elias, why are you so tense, have you been doing that exercise I told you to do for your body before practice?"

He looks up at me and shrugs. "I miss sometimes" I give him a pointed look. "Eli you need to do those, you don't need your shoulders and back to give up on you during a game."

"I'm sorry." He says clearly indicating he's sorry but doesn't want to talk about it further. I stand up and wrap my hand around his shoulders. I dig my hands in there and try to relieve them. I can tell what i'm doing is helping some because his posture gets a little better.

After I rub his shoulders for a while. The bell rings making break over. I step away and grab my bag from the bench.

"Thank you" I hear and see Elias smiling at me. I smile back and we all part and walk to class.

☁️

Me and Abby get home around 4:30. "I'm going to cook dinner" She says and puts the groceries down. I nod and go to my room and do homework.

Twenty minutes later she comes into our room. "Dinner" I get up and walk to the kitchen. I see she made carne asada. I sit down after grabbing my food, and sit across Abby.

"So... anything new with you and Cole?" I ask and she looks at me. She told me she might be getting feelings for him but she doesn't want to rush which I understand.

"Not really, I'm taking it slow and he seems to understand that, but I can tell just how excited he gets when I talk to him. Dylan's eyes never lit up when I spoke, he never looked interested in my conversation, but Cole always does." She smiles.

"I'm happy for you guys and take it as slow as you want because the slower you take it, the better the relationship becomes." I say.

"How many past boyfriends have you had?" She asks.

"Uh maybe one serious one that got torn apart when I told him I was moving here to study." I say remembering that day.

1 year ago.

"Are you serious, Fayette!" He brings out my whole name. "After all we have been through and you want to move all the way across the world to study for science?" He says getting angrier by the second.

"It's not just science to me though." I say quietly not wanting to fight.

"So you're really doing this?" I nod and he scoffs. He slams my door and leaves.

Present

"I have not seen him since" I say and she nods.

"Enough with the sappy stuff, let's watch a movie." She says and I giggle.

I put my plate in the sink and cleaned it. I walk over and see Abby has picked a movie. I get on the couch with her and we cuddle.

I don't know when but as soon as I know it, I'm in a deep sleep. Dreaming about everything... including him. I loved him a lot and sometimes I wonder if coming here was a mistake. Would he take me back if I ever came back to him.