Chapter thirty-nine

Layla

The slam of the bedroom door pierces down my ears and I wince. My head spins and I have to sit on the bed to steady this sudden dizziness. When the room stops hurling, I slowly stand, touching the bedside table for further support until both of my feet are flat and secure on the ground. That was weird. 

Keeping my slow pace as I don't want to trigger any more sudden onset dizziness, I reach the door and open it. Taking it one step at a time, I stop at the last one as I can hear low drones of Maylock, Baymin, Abbey and Zack all talking. I sit down low with my back against the wall to listen.

     "Right, listen up" Maylock pauses. "there's no easier way to say this but..."  

     "...The monster of Folklore is a werewolf" Baymin interjects firmly. "Layla found this out and we should be careful" 

     "You know this is complete bollocks right?" Abbey's sarcastic voice shines through. 

    "She's not making this up" Baymin defends. 

     "So, you're still sticking with it?" she queries. "Maylock?" she mutters but he doesn't give a response.

     "Abbey. Stop this now. Do something worthwhile with your time" Baymin fires and silence fills the room. I can even feel the tense atmosphere from way over here. 

I slowly make my way down the steps and then turn around to go up them again just to try and act as if I never heard their conversation. When I reach the top, everyone turns to look at me but Abbey's gaze is a searing glare.

     "What are you looking at?"

"Nothing, just a shit Guardian" her eyes narrow. "Who has no shoes" she nods down at my feet.

     "Hey Abbey stop it" Zack tries to back me up but it doesn't work.

     "I'll get you some shoes and socks. What size are you?" Maylock asks in a calming voice compared to Abbey's direct sarcastic tone. 

     "Five" I reply "I put my shoes in your bath" I say out loud as he goes down the stairs but then frown at how stupid that sounded and really regret it now as Abbey mockingly laughs at me. 

 Maylock returns with a pair of black trainers and white socks. I lean back on the wall near the large console to put the socks on. 

     "Layla, what do you like to eat?" he then asks as I pull the laces to widen each shoe and slip my foot inside. 

     "Uh. That's a bit of a random question" Tying the laces, I stand and come away from the wall. These shoes are a perfect fit. "I like anything really, pizza, burgers that sort of thing. I'm easy" 

     "Burger Place alright?" I nod. I know the menu off by heart as I lived off it for half a year. It was what I could just about afford in the first few weeks from running away. Its only when I started to sell my drawings that I really got some cash to splash out. It still wasn't fine dining, but a variation in diet goes a long way. 

     "I'll get it" Baymin announces. 

     "I'll have the double burger place meal" Zack orders. 

     "Make that two!" Abbey speaks up. "With a chocolate milkshake" 

     "What do you want Layla?" Maylock asks me. 

     "I'll have the hamburger chip special. Thank you." 

     "The usual Baymin" he nods as Baymin walks down the stairs that lead to the wide wooden door.