3: Discoveries and Downfalls

Once we'd made it to the kitchen, I went to my french door refrigerator and opened both doors to look at the meager collection of food I had. I felt Soul walk up behind me to peer over my shoulder.

   "That looks good," he said as his arm snaked its way over my head to grab a squared stack of lunch meat in a tupperware container and a few slices of wrapped cheese. "Do you have any bread?" Soul asked as he sloppily laid everything out on the counter.

   "Y-yes," my eye twitched. "Let me get it for you... Please," I added.

   Soul cocked an eyebrow at me but nodded nonetheless. "Suit yourself," he muttered.

   I sighed in relief. "White or wheat?"

   "I don't mind," Soul had already cracked into the lunch meat and had a piece between his teeth.

   "You really know how to make yourself at home, don't you?" I asked sarcastically.

   He nodded with his mouth full and made a sound that may or may not have been some sort of 'yes', which made me sigh as I turned towards the absolutely symmetrical breadbox. I grabbed both the white and wheat bags and set them particularly beside Soul's other sandwich ingredients.

   As the white-haired weapon dug into the food and messily pieced together his snack, I leaned against the island that was behind us and simply watched him with a bemused eye.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

   With a finished sandwich in hand, Soul followed me back to the room we'd left his papers in. I returned to my recliner while he flopped back onto the couch.