5: The Problem With Asymmetry

He looked ready to bolt.

   "C-can I just go home now?" Soul asked quietly, much to my surprise.

   "You mean you're finished with discussing our game plan?" I retorted. He nodded.

   Soul still hadn't looked at me since I found the paper; and I don't know why, but it kind of... Hurt.

   I shrugged nonchalantly to hide my emotional confusion and said, "I don't mind.  Just make sure you don't disturb the paintings by the front door when you leave. It took me hours to get them exactly right."

   Soul nodded again, just as mutely as before. So I handed back his stack of papers and waited till I heard the front door latch quietly to breathe again; my sudden exhale deafening in the solitary silence.

   'Does he have feelings for me and he's just not ready to admit it, or am I simply jumping the theoretical gun here?'  I questioned myself.

   After I'd mulled it over for a while, I decided that the best thing to do was to shrug it off and get some much-needed rest; I was suddenly blindsided by the utter lack of sleep I'd had.

   Yawning, I trudged back to my bedroom and crawled between the fluffy down-comforter and blankets to drift away until tomorrow morning.

○ • ◇ ◆ × ◆ ◇ • ○

   It seemed only a few moments later that I was attacked out of my peaceful slumber by a formidable— Patty?!

   "What the-!"

   "Kiiiiii~d," she interrupted, "I'm hungry!"

   I think listening to her whiny complaints could drive a person insane faster than sleep deprivation, so I forced myself out of bed for the second time that day and trudged behind the boisterous blonde on her way to the kitchen.

   Liz stood in front of the refrigerator with only the left door open. "Didn't we have brand new packages of sliced ham and turkey?" She pondered, more to herself than me or Patty.

   "Perhaps," I murmured under my breath,  still trying to kick my brain into gear.

   Suddenly, I realized that the twins were both intently studying me, as if I'd sprouted whiskers or something of the sort.

   People needed to stop doing that.

   "What?" I snap as harshly as my sleep-muddled mind would allow. Apparently, it was harsh enough to cause Patty to flinch and whimper as Liz grumbled half-sincere apologies.

   "You just act like...." Liz paused, seeming at a loss for words.

   "You're on edge," the other supplied quietly.

   I sighed. "Thank you being so concerned about me, but I'm completely fine. I just need sleep." I glared pointedly at Patty.