9: Anticipating Answers

"I- I... Uh... Don't know what to say," Soul breathed, clearly taken aback. I looked down at my hands, then back up at him.

   "All I need to know for now is if your answer would be a definite no," I said quietly. Soul shook his head slightly.

   "No, I... Just need some time to think it over. I mean, I know that it's basically my fault that we're even having this discussion, but," he paused, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck. "This seems too surreal, and I want you to be able to have the time to see if you should really be giving me— us— a chance. If I accepted right now, we might last a month or two before you begin to realise that being in a relationship with me disgusts you; if that would happen, I'd be devastated a second time." Soul had thin trails of saltwater staining his cheeks.

   'He thinks I'm making too rash of a decision?' I questioned myself. 'Since when have I been known to make rash decisions?'

   "What makes you think I'd regret having a relationship with you?" Soul gave me a sharp glare, as if the answer were excruciatingly obvious.

   "First of all, we're both guys; that alone could make your social status plummet!" He cried. "And secondly, I'm not symmetrical in the least... You'd have a panic attack every time you'd look at me."

   I rolled my eyes. "If you bothered me that much, do you really think I would be standing here conversing with you right now?"

   Soul glanced at my eyes for a few seconds before looking away.

   "And 'secondly'," I continued, poking at him and the way he worded his excuses. "I've never paid much attention to where my social status was, anyhow."

   Soul crossed his arms. "You're serious?" He questioned me.

   'If he keeps this up any longer, my eyes are going to roll right out of my head,' I sighed to myself.

   "Yes, Soul; I'm completely serious." I could feel my cheeks getting hot as they were surely turning a conspicuous shade of pink. "I- I want to be your boyfriend... That is.. If you'll have me?" I trailed off, letting the question hang like a heavy curtain between us.

   The white-haired weapon simply stared at me for what could have easily been a few eternities.

   Then, much to my surprise, he jumped me; pulling me into a crushing embrace. I could feel my shoulder getting wet as Soul cried and repeatedly thanked me for being so kind.

   I chuckled, then noticed the stock-still figure in the doorway.

   Various bags were splayed open on the floor where Maka had dropped them out of pure shock. She seemed to snap out of it, though, when I blushed an even deeper red and attempted to pry Soul off of me.
   Suddenly, she broke into a huge grin.

   "So, you two finally made up, huh?" Maka teased.

S/O to a few who commented
(=' ∀ ')人(' ∀ '=)

annieafterlife

Banapples6

just_writing_fanfic

Masato-kun

Rosettaone

symmetryislife

PS: I may or may not write more than one chapter after this before I call the story complete... So uh get in your suggestions/ plot requests now (ω)

F4Y OUT ★彡