2: Actions and Reactions

I don't know what made me invite Soul into my house, but I did.

I was sleeping so peacefully after a night of being dragged around by the Thompson twins from store to store; each more asymmetrical than the last.

On the bright side, after about my fourth panic attack, they finally decided to call it quits. So, with three bags on each of their arms (I made sure of it), we arrived back home.

I flopped into my feather-soft bed the moment I got my shoes off, leaving the two girls to their own devices... Probably not the best idea in retrospect, but I was so tremendously tired.

Liz must've tried to help me into my pajamas, but she gave up halfway: I only had my sweatpants on when I woke to a knock on the door.

I groaned heavily and sat up slowly, rubbing my eyes. Swinging my legs over the edge of my bed, I found my slippers had been left there; probably by one of the girls. I yawned as I shoved my feet into them and shuffled sleepily to the front entrance.

I grumbled to myself as I undid several different locks and threw open the door to find Soul standing there with a few sheaves of paper clutched in his hands. When he noticed me, he seemed almost frightened.

Then again, murderously growling 'Whadaya want?' probably didn't help his case.

But as he stammered on with something about 'our next assignment', I noticed his eyes wandering... South

'Hmm,' I smirked inwardly 'I guess I was right to suspect that he was never with that Maka chick. But wait, does that mean he's into me?'

"Could I come in?" I heard him finish.

The wheels in my head began to turn as I started formulating a plan.

"Might as well," my voice still somewhat asleep.

I turned and walked back through my doorway, assuming he'd get the hint and follow me.

He did, but not without looking like a lost puppy; his eyes were so wide that if they really were windows to the soul, you'd be able to see clear to the neighbor's house.

'He's probably too amazed at the fact that everything is symmetrical,' I thought to myself as I watched him fidget before he opened his mouth. 'Ahh, here comes the 'Why are you such a freak?''

"So where're Liz and Patty?"

I was so shocked that it took me a while to gather up my monosyllabic grumble, "Out."

Soul turned and looked at me. Just.. Looked at me.

"I... I didn't wake you, did I?" He seemed hesitant.

"Not at all," I yawned hugely for effect. "I'm just traipsing around in little more than boxers with only a half hour's rest as I usually do." Either this kid was dense or he just really sucked at small talk.

"Sorry," he mumbled with a wince.

I heaved a sigh before I walked into the living room and sat in the exact center of my favorite, plush recliner. "So what did you say you wanted?" I had honestly forgotten.

"I- I just wanted to be certain we all understood what we needed to do for our assignment." How cute, he looked awkward.

"And that's... All?" I asked, just to be sure that he didn't have any... Ulterior motives.

He nodded, seeming innocently confused by my question. I smirked inwardly to myself.

"Well, why don't you stay for lunch?" I offered. "I'm sure you could eat just a bit, right? I mean, it's almost noon anyhow."

Just then, his stomach growled an obscenely loud complaint. He looked horrified, but I merely chuckled. "I guess that settles it."

I rose gracefully from my perch on my chair and made my way back to the kitchen, gesturing for him to follow.

~A N~

I know I usually continue past a POV overlap and I'm sorry. I just wanted to get this out there. I'll probably just continue from either Kid's POV or a third person's. Comment your preference, if you'd like!~