8: Confrontation

Patty and Liz had suddenly appeared behind me, so I spoke without turning around, "I need to go speak with Soul. I'll be back before sundown-- I think."

   After a brief silence, Liz was the one to speak up first, "Good luck."

   Throwing an appreciative grin over my shoulder, I sprinted out the door; grabbing my skateboard and tucking it under my arm on the way.

   Eventually arriving at Soul's front door, I steel my erratic nerves for a moment before I step up to knock on the dark brown (asymmetrical) door.

   It opens a few seconds later, revealing a sliver of white hair and a pale-skinned face.

"Soul?" I venture quietly.

   "If you're here to laugh at me, get it over with; I want to go eat, okay?" He replies sardonically.

   I narrowly avoid the bitingly sarcastic remark that sits on the tip of my tongue.

   "I'm not here to make fun at you; I simply wanted to give you my answer in person." I pause. "Or would you rather I break into your house and leave a note on your kitchen table?" I simply couldn't resist poking fun at his particular 'solution'.

   Soul opens the door wider, making his scowl clearly visible.

   "Whatever," he grumbles. "Maka just left to buy.... I don't know.... Girl things. So she'll be out for at least another two hours." Soul pauses. "You know she's livid with you, right?"

   I raise one brow. "And you're not?" I ask pointedly. He shrugs.

   "More of a self-loathing, if I must be honest." Soul says somewhat nonchalantly.
   A small knife lodges itself in my gut as I grimace.

   "Yeah um, about that..." My usual eloquence seems to vanish as I stumble over what I want to say.

   "You... Ah, I mean I..." I stop, rub the back of my neck, and sigh. "To put it simply, my answer is that, after I've given much thought to the concept of," I swallow audibly. "Us, and I realised that I do cater feelings towards you; and if you were still wishing to have a relationship, I would... agree...." The last few words tumble awkwardly past my lips as it becomes increasingly impossible to maintain eye contact with the white-haired weapon.

   I feel his gaze trying to bore into me for what seems like eternity before I hear an intake of breath.

  'This is it.'  I think to myself. 'His answer will either land you a boyfriend or at least a decade of humiliating gossip.'

   I outwardly cringe as I wait for the words that could be joyous or condescending.

   "I-"

• * ~ • ~ * •

Yeah, yeah I know -audience rages at cliffhanger-

Don't:
• Flame or otherwise unproductively criticise my work (ie: "you and your gay stories are going to hell!" -guest reader [fanfiction. Net])

Do:
• Follow
• Like
• Make comments about what you enjoyed, or what you would like to see fixed
• Use these guidelines on the rest of my works and all of any amateur writing communities (like Wattpad, fanfiction. net, ArchiveOfOurOwn, etc. )