Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Hello My Love!" Regina said in her head, as the sun hit the horizon. "I am so sorry, I'm going to be a little late this evening. My mother is being difficult and is trying to delay me retreating to bed for the evening. I'll be there as soon as I can, I promise!" Regina thought.

"It's ok, My Love. We can skip this month if you need to." Emma said in Regina's mind.

"NO! Absolutely not! I need you tonight, Emma. " Regina said.

"I'll be here when you're ready, My Love!" Emma said, keeping quiet the remainder of the time she waited, so as to not distract Regina.

Regina was standing in the kitchen of her parent's home, the house she grew up in, staring out of the window over the sink, watching the sunset, when Cora walked into the room.

"REGINA! What do you think you are doing?" Cora asked, sternly, when she saw Regina gazing out of the window, her gaze un-moving.

"I was talking to Emma." Regina said, matter-of-factly. "I was telling her I would be late for our meeting tonight."

"I forbid you from meeting that woman in my home." Cora said, her eyes angry.

"You can not stop me from meeting Emma tonight, Mother." Regina said, turning her concentration to the dishes in the sink, that she was loading into the dishwasher, as she felt her mother's angry eyes on her.

"I forbid it!" Cora repeated.

"I am an adult, Mother. You can not keep me awake all night." Regina said, walking past Cora as she began to exit the kitchen. "I choose Emma. I will always choose Emma."

"Regina!" Cora called, as Regina reached the door to the kitchen.

"Good night, Mother." Regina said, as she walked towards the staircase, making her way to her old bedroom. She quickly changed and got ready for bed, making sure her bedroom door was locked, before climbing into her old bed, settling in for her monthly evening with Emma.

<~**~>

As soon as Regina closed her eyes, she was transported to Emma, who was waiting patiently for her to arrive. As soon as she felt the bed materialize under her, she could smell the sweet smell of vanilla, a smell she has grown to Love in the last year and a half she had spent with Emma.

"Hello My Love." Emma said, immediately pulling Regina close. "Your mother really is a piece of work." Emma laughed.

"You heard that?" Regina asked, her voice low.

"Yeah. I could hear everything since sunset." Emma said. "Hey, what's wrong?" Emma asked, feeling something was off immediately.

"My father..." Regina said, crying suddenly. "He died a few days ago." Regina whispered.

"Regina. I'm so sorry." Emma said, pulling Regina closer.

"Can you...hold me tonight?" Regina asked. "I need to feel your arms around me."

"Of course." Emma said, as Regina rolled over. Emma's arms were around Regina before she settled into the new position. She could feel Regina's body shake as she cried in Emma's arms. Emma could faintly smell Regina's shampoo, inhaling the sweet smell of apples, as she nuzzled against Regina's neck.

"What happened?" Emma asked, as Regina's cries began to still slightly.

"He had a heart attack three days ago. My mother called me as soon as it happened. I left work as soon as she called, but I live two hours away from my parents..." Regina said, her cries causing her to stop talking again.