Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Emma sighed as she climbed out of her Yellow Bug, pulling on her red leather jacket before walking into the small diner she drove past. She had been driving for hours and she was completely exhausted. After nearly falling asleep at the wheel, she pulled off the highway at the next exit and found herself in a small town, quickly discovering a quaint little Inn with one room left. After checking in and dropping her things off in the room she would be calling home for the night, she reluctantly climbed back into her car to search for a place to eat, finding the small diner not too far away.

"Anywhere you like!" The young woman said from behind the counter, balancing three plates in her arms. Emma looked around and decided on a spot at the counter, hoping to make this a quick meal. She had a feeling that the waitress was a talker, and hoped to stay off her radar.

Thirty minutes later, Emma was picking at the remaining fries on her plate, her burger long gone.

"Can I get you anything else? Another beer? Some pie?" The waitress asked, clearing the empty plate from Emma.

"Umm.."Emma said, turning to look out the window at the status of the sun. "Sure, yeah I'll take a piece of pie. Do you have apple?" She asked.

"Only the best apple pie in the state. The apples are grown and harvested right here in town. Want some coffee with that?" She asked, grabbing an empty coffee cup from behind the counter.

"Sure. Decaf though." Emma said, as the waitress nodded, disappearing into the kitchen. A few minutes later she emerged with Emma's warm pie, and a pot of coffee.

"I've never seen you around here before. Are you new in town?" The waitress asked, as she poured Emma's coffee.

"Just passing through." Emma said, as she took a bite of pie, humming with satisfaction. "This pie is amazing!"

"Old family recipe." The waitress laughed. "Can I get you anything else?"

"No, thanks." Emma said, sipping her coffee. "Oh yeah, actually, there's one thing. What time is sunset tonight?" Emma asked.

"Oh wow! I totally forgot all about the full moon tonight." The waitress said, smiling. "It's a small town. Most of the people of age have already met their Soulmates. Give me a second, I'll find out." She said, disappearing in the back, popping back out a minute later. "You have about forty-five minutes left before sunset."

"Thanks." Emma smiled, eating the rest of her pie. "Can I ask you a personal question?" She asked, as the waitress refilled her coffee.

"Sure!"

"How long did you have to wait before you met your Soulmate?" Emma asked, taking a sip of her fresh coffee.

"A little over two years. We both went to Miami for spring break with our friends. We met at baggage claim in Florida. Needless to say, we didn't see much of our friends that week." She winked, grinning. "How long have you been waiting?" She asked.

"Tonight will make exactly seven years." Emma said, frowning.

"Seven years!?!" She asked, in shock.

"Yeah. And she waited over two and a half years before I turned twenty-one." Emma said, holding back tears.

"That must be torture." The waitress said, empathy on her face.

"It is." Emma sighed, checking her phone. "I better head out. How much do I owe you?" She said, pulling her wallet out from her back pocket.

"Listen. Dinner's on me tonight." She said. "No one should have to wait that long for their Soulmate."