Almost: Alternate Ending

Jay sent the last message and smiled as he breathed in a fresh breath of cool, crisp air. He stared down, down towards the bustling city square, still so lively even at 3 in the morning, almost 4. Jay stood there, just taking a moment to appreciate all that he would miss. The full of life residents, funny street performers, good food, his friends, Heeseung...

Jay shakes his head, not wanting to think of a certain someone while he was trying to appreciate the beauty of the world he was to leave. Smiling, he thinks back to all the morning walks and runs he would go on with his german shepherd, Sol, who unfortunately had passed just a few years ago.

Before he jumped, he thought back to his life. He had wished his friends all a better life without him, he had confessed, and he had cut off ties with his toxic family and tied up any loose
strings. He had done everything on his bucket list and if he had missed anything, then oh well, he'd complete it in the next life. Smiling, he spreads his arms, ready to let gravity do it's thing and take complete control of his body.

However, before he's able to jump, something, or rather someone takes hold of his
outstretched arm and he's tugged backwards into a warm and firm chest of a human being. All Jay can hear in his startled mindset is the person's ragged breathing, probably from running up to the rooftop.

He turns in this random person's embrace ready to pull away and let them know it's his choice to be doing this, but he turns around and sees Heeseung's tear stricken face and welled up eyes, and he's even more shocked. His mouth goes wide and he covers his mouth as a surprised gasp falls out without his meaning to.

He backs away towards the ledge to get some type of grounding, but Heeseung doesn't let
him move and just grabs him back and puts his head to his chest.

"Please, just let me hold you like this. I need to know you're real and alive."

Jay is startled but stays, knowing that it's Heeseung. Heeseung... he had run all the way here to save him...

It almost made Jay feel bad, almost.

Ripping himself out of the warm embrace, he puts some distance between them. He warmly
smiles at the older male, but his gaze is ice cold.

"Do you not want to know why I'm doing this?"

"I... yes, so tell me, why are you so adamant on ...leaving?"

"Hyung, I have a rare disease that's incurable, 1 in a million chances or something."

"...I... I don't follow?"

"I have 1 month left. My condition has been getting worse since last week, not that you noticed... And the chemo I was taking was too painful and wasn't working. I was supposed to
have until I graduated, but since the chemo is ineffective, I'll be on bed rest. In fact, I had a really bad asthma attack before class this morning, again I didn't expect you to notice, so I'll be on bed rest starting tomorrow."

"If you still have a month, then... why?"

He just didn't understand, did he? Heeseung just stopped caring when Kaneki came along. All of a sudden everything was about her, to the point where he didn't respond to his friends for days at times.

Jay missed the old Heeseung who wasn't crazy over a girl who was just using him for his money.

For god sake, Heeseung was the most observant person, but he was so head over heels that he didn't realize the signs of Kaneki cheating on him. But what could Jay do?
Nothing.

Heeseung would think he was just jealous.

"Why? You don't understand do you? You never did, not until Kaneki came along."

In a bitter tone, Jay responded to Heeseung's stupid question. They had been friends since diapers, being able to read each other's minds and complete each other's sentences.

"I, Jay, talk to me please. I'm begging you, I need to know what I did."

"Might as well. You wanna know what you did? When was the last time you talked to me? Had an actual conversation or asked how I was? Hm? When was the last time you talked to any of the others? Tell me Heeseung, tell me."

Heeseung was shocked and unable to speak. Jay scoffed and continued.

"I'll answer those questions, you talked to me properly, 2 months ago, 2 fucking months. And to the group, I'd say over 2 months. I know you have a girlfriend, and I admit you should spend time with her, but you aren't that fucking dense are you? She's using you. God, I wasn't gonna
say anything, but have you not seen her? Here you are working your ass off to be able to take her on nice dates and buy her stuff, while she's out spreading her legs for other men. Never did I think you would turn out like this."

"But that's... she... what?"

"She's cheating on you and using you!"

At this point Jay was frustrated, he had wanted to leave peacefully.

"Ok, but that doesn't answer my question as to why you're leaving so early, I can fix this, but tell
me why you're leaving."

Jay was so close to crying, but he just started venting. Again.

"You still don't fucking get it do you? I don't want to be here. My body hates me, it's at war with itself. I'll be in bedrest for a month, doing nothing but being looked at by doctors and nurses. It'll be beyond painful, risks of cardiac arrest, heart attacks, asthma attacks, blood testing. I don't
want to die a painful death! The reason I decided to do this in the middle of the night is because
I wanted to go peacefully. I didn't want to do this. So please, now I'm begging you, just let me go. Forget me, give me a nice burial or whatever, let whoever wants to mourn my death mourn it, but just please, let me go and forget me. Believe me about Kaneki or not, I don't care, but I
want to go."

"..."

Heeseung didn't say anything, but just nodded, trying to understand his pain. Jay lets out a sigh of relief, wiping his tears away and turns and walks to the edge, stepping up, turning around and
smiling at Heeseung.

"Thank you, I'll always love you, now and forever."

With those words, Jay lets himself go, gives himself away to the gravity that pulled him down, towards the college grounds.

Heeseung realizes his words and runs to the edge, shouting "I love you too!"

Only getting a smile in return as Jay hits the ground. Immediately, he goes limp, blood flowing from his head.

At 6:13am on the 21st of October, year 20xx Park Jongseong was pronounced dead by the autopsy team in City X at Hospital XY.

The following day, Heeseung publicly ends things with Kaneki in front of the whole school, walking away coldly from the girl after he said his part. He started talking to his old friends
again, who all helped put together Jay's funeral with him.

It was wonderfully planned, except for the fact that it was a funeral. He was dressed in a black suit with his hair dyed back to black and his skin sporting blush because he looked too pale against the red satin cushions of the coffin Heeseung had picked out. Hee made the decision of the blush, almost breaking down because he didn't want to accept the fact that Jay was... gone.

He carried the coffin along with the relatives Jay didn't despise.

At the end, everyone was paying their respects and giving their condolences to a red, puffy-eyed Heeseung who didn't care to hide it.

For years after, Heeseung would wake up covered in cold sweat from nightmares about Jay.

Never did he get married. He couldn't, not when he had promised to forever love Jay and stay loyal to him. At the age of 29, Heeseung passed away peacefully in his sleep, having overdosed on sleeping pills.

THE END

I SAID I WOULD GIVE Y'ALL AN ENDING BUT NEVER DID I SAY A HAPPY ENDING 🙅 HOPE YOU ENJOYED BECAUSE THIS IS MOST LIKELY THE LAST PART ✌