21 | big star

Red was typically a very flattering color for my complexion, but not when it came in the form of an inflamed turf burn decorating my kneecap. I huffed, replacing the pathetic bandage that the trainer at St. John's Day School had given me during half-time with the one I'd found in my lacrosse backpack. Winning tonight's away game 17-5 made it hurt a little less, but I knew I would need to have bandages on it for the rest of the week.

"That's so hot," Kelsey said from across the aisle of the bus. She leaned her head against the seat in front of her, feigning admiration for my turf burn.

"Very. Trip will love it," I quipped, smoothing out the edges of my new bandage.

She snorted. "Who needs lingerie when you can have turf burns?"

"Oh, great," I grumbled, noticing tiny crimson droplets staining my white Nike crew sock. "I've got blood on my socks too."

Kelsey stuck her right leg out across the aisle and tapped the scrab on her kneecap. "I honestly think I blacked out for a second while cleaning this in the shower after Friday's Nod Hill game. It stung so bad."

I grimaced, knowing I had no choice but to endure that same stinging sensation later tonight. "Well, I can't wait to see the film. #2 literally bulldozed into me on that ground ball."

Gianna peered over the back of the seat in front of me. "She totally should've gotten a yellow card," she argued, shrugging on her black team jacket. "It looked really bad."

"It felt really bad too, believe me," I said, my gaze drifting out of the window as the bus turned down the road leading to Cannondale's campus. A moment later, we were passing through the tall iron gates.

"Last song before we're back!" Delaney announced, her voice carrying over the end of Bruno Mars's Just the Way You Are. "Everyone sing in the name of team bonding!"

I glanced backwards down the aisle. As always, the seniors occupied the last few rows, playing songs off our team's Spotify playlist from Delaney's speaker. Our captain was consistently on aux.

Macallan gave a delighted squeal from the seat behind Kelsey as Vanessa Carlton's A Thousand Miles started to play, and she wasn't the only one. All individual conversations ceased in a matter of seconds, and suddenly the entire team was ready to sing, kneeling on their seats to see everyone else.

Making my way downtown

Walking fast, faces pass and I'm homebound

I opted to sit on the edge of my seat, facing outward into the aisle as I partook in the song. Putting pressure on my maimed knee was not the move.

As our not-so-harmonious voices filled the bus, I couldn't prevent myself from smiling. Our team was objectively one of the best in the state, but being competitive and consistently fighting for championship titles wasn't what motivated me to give it my all every time I put on my jersey. It was my teammates. The girls who proudly repped the Blue Wave's colors and screamed out the lyrics to A Thousand Miles like it was their sole purpose in life. No matter where I committed for college, lacrosse wouldn't be the same without them.

And I still need you

And I still miss you

And now I wonder

Macallan held her lacrosse stick upside down, the end cap serving as her makeshift microphone. Leaning diagonally across the aisle, she snatched my hand with her free one, preparing to serenade me during the final chorus.

If I could fall into the sky

Do you think time would pass me by?

The song ended just as the bus slowed to a stop in front of the athletic facility. Delaney powered off the speaker, and everyone turned their attention to Coach Mayer at the front of the bus.