➾ conclusion

21 July 2023

It is not an understatement when I say that a lot has changed in my life since I started outlining The Halo Effect in autumn 2020. I moved from Seattle to London. I graduated twice, earning my Bachelor's degree and Master's degree. I got my first postgraduate job.

Writing The Halo Effect has been an incredible journey—dare I say trip—and I am really proud of this book. If I had to melt it down, I would define it as a coming-of-age story about friendship and resilience. In other words, it is about learning which people have your back and learning to have your own back at a time when there's both so much promise and uncertainty about the future.

From the outset, I wanted this book to explore and reflect on how relationships, sports, and academics are often such influential aspects of young adult life. They can shape so much of our identity and sense of self-worth in ways that aren't always constructive. 

There are a great many things that I wish 16-year-old me knew, but I am grateful that Chandler's journey reflects some of the would've, could've, should've moments that I've carried with me in a way that is meaningful. It is a satisfying silver lining.

Acknowledgments

To Taylor / moonraess:

You are the creative mind that I trust the most. Thank you for being an invaluable part of this book's journey. I treasure the crossover chapters with Blind Ambition, but I treasure our friendship more than any of our projects. There is no one else who I would cinematically hug on the Central Line platform at Oxford Circus during evening rush hour.

To readers:

It has been an absolute pleasure sharing this book with you. Thank you for sticking with me during the long university-induced breaks that I took from updating chapters. Thank you for rooting for Chandler and her friends. But most importantly, thank you for choosing to read my book.

Anyway, as Chandler England says: win the draw, rule the world.