Oil and Water

To say Vi and Caitlyn's presentation to the council was poorly received would be an understatement. They all ignored any point the two tried to make, going so far as to tell Vi to leave lest security get involved. The duo was upset, Vi more than Caitlyn, and she wasn't putting much effort into hiding it. The rejection hurt, so Vi returned to what she had known for the past many years: being alone.

"What about us?" Caitlyn pled to her girlfriend after chasing her into the rain. One street lamp illuminated them from above, unfortunately Vi didn't have the mood to face Caitlyn's eyes.

"Oil and water - wasn't meant to be. Do yourself a favour, Cupcake, and just forget me, okay?" Vi said in response. It hurt her to say too, her skin crawled while she put her hood up and walked away from her first love. But what was she to do? It was clear that Topsiders wanted nothing to do with people from the Undercity, and as much as Vi hated its affect on her life, she was a Bottomsider. She was angry, some could say enraged, with how little Piltover seemed to care, and she was taking it out on the only person she had left to care about her. She knew it was wrong, she knew it hurt, but she didn't know what else to do.

Caitlyn watched Vi fade into the darkness of the rainy night, the lampposts only doing so much to light Vi's back. Her tears couldn't be distinguished from the rain hitting her face, she felt humiliated. After everything they had done in the short time they'd known each other. After she let Vi out of prison, after trading her gun for medicine, after the time they had in her room mere hours ago, what was it all worth? Maybe mother was right, and Vi had an iron fist on her heart after all. It certainly felt like one was crushing it right now. Caitlyn wanted so badly to chase after her beloved in the rain, turn her around in the rain and hug her tighter than she had felt before. She wanted to believe this wasn't really about her, to know that Vi was lashing out because of the council and still loved her in spite of it all. But she truly couldn't be sure. She knew Vi was unpredictable, and that she knew how to be alone, but such things didn't offer any comfort. She didn't need to know what Vi was like right now, she needed Vi. She needed to feel her strong arms wrap around her and her lips on hers. 

Vi stopped walking, she stood on the other end of the street under a broken lamp, staring at Caitlyn's now tiny silhouette down the way. She was trying desperately not to cry, but felt the tears welling up in her eyes. Her body wanted to go back to her Cupcake but her mind wouldn't let her, the Undercity part of her mind still saw the girl as just another pampered Topsider in a big fancy house, and unfortunately that part of her brain was still in control. She wanted to scream to her but no noise came out of her mouth. It's not you, Cait, it isn't your fault. I'm sorry. I love you. I didn't mean what I said. We aren't oil and water, Cupcake, we're... we're... damn it I don't know but we go together. I should never have left. You're still sweet like a cupcake, what does that make me? I'll be a muffin, how about that. I'll be your muffin, seem fair? Sounds fair to me.

A slew of things to say to Caitlyn played in her head like a radio. If only her voice could work, if only she could say these things for real. But she quickly realized it wouldn't matter. Cait's mother came out of the building and took her to go back home. The window closed for Vi to go back, and she didn't know if she'd get to see her Cupcake again, if she'd ever get to say everything she needed to. She had no idea, and that finally made her voice come back.

"No!" She screamed to the sky until her lungs were empty. Her throat immediately sore, and tears finally falling from her eyes. She fell to her knees, doubling over on the brick road that Topside loved to keep clean. "Caitlyn!" She shouted to herself, tears falling more aggressively by the second as the rain started hitting her back harder. She didn't know how long she stayed there, but the only thing she could think of was - her now former - girlfriend. The image of the enforcer looking into her eyes on the bed just this morning kept looping in Vi's head. She had never gazed into such beautiful eyes, it was far too easy to get lost in them. The way Caitlyn looked at her, the way she touched her face, Vi couldn't stop her thoughts. What the hell had she just done?

Caitlyn couldn't stop thinking of Vi either. She got home and stripped herself to shower, tossing her clothes carelessly on the bed; a bed they made each other feel so good on so shortly before. She turned the water as hot as she could bear and stepped in, letting the steam manifest around her and felt the water roll off her back. She was hurt, she was pained, and she was heartbroken. She kept replaying the night over in her head, thinking of everything that could have gone differently. She could have said something before Vi walked away, she could have pulled her back to her. There was so much she wanted to do and say and wished she had done but it made no difference now. Maybe she could go back to the Undercity tomorrow, she could seek Vi out and mend things with her. Maybe Vi would come back here and try to reconcile their love. She didn't know, she didn't care by what means it happened, she just needed to see the beautiful girl again. She was far too special to just let walk away in the rain.

But for now, Caitlyn knew the best thing was sleep. So she got out of the shower and started to dry herself, starting her nightly routine. The room felt frigid, which is to be expected after such a hot shower, but she felt another cold presence in the room. She was amidst the effort of shrugging it off when she saw a familiar and crude design form in the steam of her mirror. It looked like some kind of monkey, but it didn't take long for the art to stop being an issue. She became more concerned with the pair of eyes she saw reflected that certainly were not hers.

 "Hey there, cutie, I got a surprise for ya"

"You! You're, you're Vi's sister!" Caitlyn exclaimed. She was shocked. She was scared. She didn't know what this monster would want with her.

"Shhh shh shh shh, don't want me to have to shut you up, do ya? Here, get dressed. You'll wanna look pretty for your girlfriend," Jinx said to the cowering Caitlyn as she tossed her uniform at her. 

Caitlyn caught her clothes, looked down at them for a moment, then back up at Jinx. "You have Vi? What have you done to her? And my parents!" she screamed. Ordinarily, she could keep her composure to some degree, but this wasn't ordinary. She was naked, Vi's psychotic sister had broken into her house, and the status of both her parents and Vi were a big question mark. She was frozen against her bathroom counter, holding her uniform, staring at Jinx.

"Hey! I  said no more talking. Your parents are fine, what have I got against them? Just get dressed," Jinx said assertively, pointing her gun at Caitlyn. Cait nodded and slowly put her uniform on, trying to keep her eyes on the freak as she did. Finally, she was fully dressed, and stood up straight to oppose the intruder.

"Great!" Jinx said, moving her gun away from Caitlyn, "But I'm still gonna need you to take a nap." She let one of her bombs activate, and a pink gas started to flood the room. She stepped away from Caitlyn as she put on a mask, leaving the enforcer to slowly close her eyes and fall into a much needed rest. Needed for Jinx, that is, if she was to execute her plan accordingly. 

Caitlyn understood what was happening in the moment. She knew this girl's work, and she knew she was going to be asleep soon. As badly as she wanted to fight she had to try and save her strength for later, she didn't know what madness 'later' would bring. As she started losing strength, and her eyes started shut, she thought about laying on the bed across from Vi, and the way she held her hand. How comfortable it was to sleep on her chest, and how nice it felt when the bruiser's hand flowed through her hair. My hero... The phrase rang in her mind like the finest orchestra. Caitlyn knew Vi might have to be the hero now, but if it would be anyone, it would be her; they were getting out of this alive. 

And with her last conscious thought, one thing echoed.

I love you.