Progress Day

"Do you seriously have to do a double shift today?" Vi asked with a pout as Caitlyn got dressed in her enforcer uniform. 

"Unfortunately, my love, yes. Progress Day needs a lot of security, especially after everything that happened last year," Caitlyn explained, adjusting her top to get rid of the twists and wrinkles it was prone to. "You're welcome to come down and see all the festivities, though. Stay around me if you'd like."

Vi smirked and let out a small chuckle, which caused Caitlyn to quickly clarify her words. 

"I'll be working, Vi. You can stay near me but I can't be distracted. Get those ideas out of your head."

"Come on, Cupcake, what do you take me for? It's not like I'm always trying to get in your pants. I'll let you work and be responsible and protect this great city and blah blah blah," Vi said with a giggle, standing up to hug Cait from behind. She rested her chin on Cait's shoulder and watched as she tried not to acknowledge the laughter. Try as she might she couldn't hide the roll of her eyes and the cute gap in her teeth that was revealed in her grin. 

"I mean it, Vi, no funny business," Caitlyn said with a smile before kissing Vi gently, her lips as soft as the clouds. 

"Yeah, I know, I know. But that means you're also not allowed to arrest me," Vi replied once Cait's mouth retreated from her own. 

Caitlyn looked back in the mirror as she did the last bit of straightening out of her uniform. "The enforcers know to bring you to me if you get punchy. You could also just punch people less, maybe?" She told her fiancée, looking at her in the reflection. 

"Hey, I'm never the one to start it," Vi told her after a quick kiss on the cheek.

"What about the man we saw on our walk yesterday? What did he do to earn your wrath?" Caitlyn asked, looking down at Vi with loving eyes.

"He looked at you funny," Vi replied with a smug smile, her teeth lighting up the room. Caitlyn laughed and kissed Vi again, for a little longer this time. Her girlfriend was rather ridiculous but she couldn't lie about enjoying the protection she offered. Not that she really needed it, but Vi being so ready to put someone off was a charming quality, even if her tactics were rather aggressive. 

"You know, if you want to spend more of the day together the enforcers still have an offer open for you. You'd see me on more than just lunch breaks and days off that way," Caitlyn reminded before grabbing her hat.

"I know," Vi said with a groan, flopping onto the bed, "But me? An enforcer? After everything that's gone on with them and me that- it doesn't feel right. Why do they want me on the roster so bad anyway?"

"Well you would be quite good at it, you know," Cait said to her, leaning over the sprawled-out boxer, "And I'll never force it on you, I know the history you have with them. But times do change. Life, it fluxes and twists, there's never anything wrong with a change of perspective. If you have any interest, just try to think about it without having your past be a factor if you can. Can you do that for me?"

"I don't know, Cait, it's-"

"Can you try, Cherry Blossom?"

"... I'll give it some thought."

Caitlyn gave Vi one more kiss before making her way down to the Progress Day celebrations. She reminded Vi to come down and see everything that was set up and enjoy the antics, to which Vi nodded her head. 

This year's Progress Day was set to be quite a display with Jayce giving the big speech once again. There were rumours that they were unveiling something incredible with their hextech, which is especially noteworthy considering all their hextech inventions were rather impressive. As Caitlyn walked through the streets of Piltover, passing all the tents and displays, she heard plenty of buzz and speculation about what the "Man of Progress" was going to unveil. Caitlyn had no such speculations, in truth she anticipated Jayce to give as disappointing presentation as the year before. In spite of the applause and fireworks, Jayce's speech was truly hollow and didn't say much of anything. Cait respected Jayce as an inventor, and he had quite good character, but he was far from being a spokesman.

It was interesting to watch the celebration take place in the street, the whole city was shut down for this day but somehow it was busier than ever. Children ran along with small contraptions and trinkets, their parents often trailing with a rather tired look on their face. All the vendors claiming they had the best candy or drinks or sandwiches that money could buy when in reality it was all mediocre on the best of days. The truly special thing about Progress Day, though, was the diversity found in the city. People came from Noxus, Bilgewater, even the Freljord to see what new and exciting thing Piltover came up with. Many of them had their own booths and kiosks as well, causing kids to fall in love with some kind of food they'd surely never see again. It was a proud day for Piltover and all who lived in it, and when Caitlyn had parents who helped develop the city into what it was there was a special feeling in her heart. 

Security watch was rather relaxed this year, not only was it doubled but the Undercity had been causing much less trouble since Silco died and the production of Shimmer stopped. There were a few drunk and disorderly people that had to be removed, as well as the occasional lost child, but no real threats and no real danger. Caitlyn simply maintained her post as the sun moved from east to west. 

Then, after a few hours of watching and listening, Caitlyn noticed her sweetheart being brought to her by another enforcer. As she drew closer she noticed her nose was bloody and she had a cut on her forehead, nothing Vi hasn't felt before but it still worried Caitlyn to see her in such a state. She rushed toward the two, hugging Vi tightly and glancing at her colleague as a way of asking the situation. 

"She didn't start it," he told Caitlyn before making his way back to his own post.

Cait let go of Vi and looked at her softly, holding her face with tender hands.

"Vi, are you alright? What happened?" She asked urgently.

"Some half-drunk guy was bothering a kid, maybe 11 or 12, so I stepped in front and told him to fuck off. Kid looked lost but the guy didn't let up and started swinging a bit," She explained.

Caitlyn reached down to hold Vi's hands and noticed something that was odd for her fiancée.

"How come your wrists aren't wrapped, Muffin? Your hand seem untouched," Caitlyn asked with surprise.

"Well, you asked me to be less punchy so, you know, I tried not to fight as much," Vi told her darling.

"Oh, Vi, that's not what I meant," Caitlyn exclaimed caringly, "Punch all you want to defend yourself, of course! You just don't need to beat them to a pulp every time!"

Vi smirked and chuckled a bit, studying the ground "Good to know," she said softly. 

Caitlyn gave her a soft kiss on the forehead and held her hands tightly. "I appreciate you listening though, I do," Caitlyn replied, "Now let's get you cleaned up, come on."

Caitlyn led Vi into the medical tent and got her cleaned up nicely, washing the blood off her face and disinfecting the cut that was left on her forehead. The day was coming to a close, which meant the big Progress Day speech was set to take place soon. Caitlyn had indoor security duty for the speech and offered Vi the option to sit near her post while Jayce talked about this year's inventions. Vi excitedly accepted the idea, glad to be able to be near her Cupcake after the long and busy day. Vi hadn't ever been to a Progress Day event before and she was already quite impressed; she looked forward to what the big man's speech might bring to round the day up. She wasn't a Topsider and didn't think much of Jayce from her minimal interaction with him, but she had to admit it was kind of exciting to see what new stuff he'd come up with. The hammer-gun thing was pretty cool, after all. 

The lights went down, the chatter stopped, and Jayce walked out into the spotlight.