Back in Your Arms

Jinx's rocket added an extra light to the night sky, a light that shouldn't have been there. They were both exhausted, mildly injured, and horrified at everything that had happened in the past 12 hours. Vi's heart hurt to see Powder- Jinx sit down in that chair, and it mortified them both to watch the sister take Silco's life in such cold blood, and with so much remorse. And now, they just had to watch as a rocket flew across the red-mooned sky towards the counsellor's building.

The pair watched in horror, Caitlyn more than Vi, as the rocket broke through the window let itself explode. Caitlyn's mother was in there, and was now most likely gone. 

"No!" she screamed, tears rolling down her face as the building became rubble. She lost all strength in her body, leaving herself to be fully supported by the tired arms of Vi. She could barely open her eyes, her salty tears being absorbed into Vi's jacket. She didn't know what to do, all her body would allow was crying.

Vi dropped her second gauntlet and held Caitlyn close to her, tightly against her, letting the girl cry. Vi knew what this pain was, she knew what it was like to watch a parent die, she had done it more times than one person should have to. It was a long while before Caitlyn had her composure back, but once she did she pulled her face out of Vi's chest, taking a step back to look at her. 

"You're everything I've got now, Vi, well you and my dad, but..." Caitlyn trailed for a moment, only to throw herself back into Vi's arms, "I need you, Vi, I need you. Please, please don't go again." 

"I'm not going anywhere, Cait, I'll always be here. Everything's gonna be okay," Vi told her softly. She stroked the enforcers back as she held her, continuing to say reassuring words of comfort. Then, after they were both well enough to, Vi escorted Caitlyn back home. 

The enforcer ran to her father as soon as she walked through the front door, and her father did the same for her. They had both been worried, and in so much pain, they were relieved to see the other was fine. Vi, on the other hand, stood awkwardly by the door. After a short moment Caitlyn's father took notice of Vi and invited her in.

"Oh, Vi, please come in, have a tea," He said to her from across the room, waving his hand and signaling for her to have a seat on the couch. Vi was still a little uncomfortable because of the last time she sat with Cait's family, but the father didn't seem so bad and, well, she wanted to know what tea was like. So she sat down on the couch next to Caitlyn, who in turn rested her head on Vi's shoulder. Vi put her arm around her Cupcake and held her as they waited for the tea to steep. Caitlyn wasn't concerned with it being troublesome to show affection to Vi right now, she needed her. 

Mr. Kiramman brought out their teas, set a cup in front of each of them, and sat down on the couch opposite the girls. "It seems like you two have been through quite an ordeal," he said as he picked up his cup. Caitlyn silently nodded her head while keeping it rested on Vi's shoulder as she wasn't in much of a mood for talking. 

"We have," Vi said, "it's been a bit of a mess. I'm sorry for your loss." That was everything she could think to say. She wasn't really sure how to act in such situations, whenever something like this happened to her there wasn't much discussion around it. Even now, despite there being a lot to talk about, the room seemed filled with an eerie silence. One could only explain it as, well, a missing voice. 

"Thank you for your words, Vi. I've been thinking-"

"Dad," Caitlyn said quietly, cutting off her father, "I think it would be best if I rest. I'll see you in the morning." Her father nodded as Caitlyn stood from the couch and started towards the stairs, grabbing Vi's hand so she would follow. Slowly, the two trundled up to the second level and entered Caitlyn's room. She began to take her clothes off. They were messy from the night and, at this moment, they just felt uncomfortable to wear. So she stripped, and Vi, once again, stood unsure by the door.