Chapter 46

A few hours later, we'd begrudgingly gotten dolled up and showed up to the restaurant at which my parents had called us. We'd calmed down a bit, but the car ride was still a bit stiff and tense.

When Zara saw the private restaurant room we'd been reserved, she hesitated for a moment.

I put an arm around her shoulder. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head slightly, "Nothing. It's just that this was... we've been here before recently," she gave a withered smile. "Before your accident, that is. Right before. I... didn't really like the place."

My parents had yet to arrive, so the two of us got started with some drinks as we sat by each other. Zara looked beautiful, as she usually did.

But I wondered if I should tell her about meeting Yuma this afternoon. I finally decided that I ought to. "Hey... I'm sorry to ask this but... what do you think of the girl... Yuma?"

Her expression got stiff, and I hoped she wouldn't get upset, "No, I understand; you can ask me these things. Mm... if I'm being honest, she really obviously seems like a gold digger. She strikes me as the scheming type. There's bad rumors about her, apparently."

I opened and shut my mouth. You didn't start those rumors to spite and harm me and her, did you...? Of course she wouldn't do that. I felt awful for wondering it at all.

"You... do you remember anything about her?" She asked me cautiously. I said no, and she looked relieved. God, I hated myself for doubting her right now.

"Zara... did you know her?"

Her face soured a bit, "No... I don't know her. I've never talked to her, honestly."

"Did I seem to like her...?"

Zara's expression looked betrayed for a moment before she turned away, "You probably shouldn't ask me that."

I swallowed and apologized immediately. She was right. What was I doing? I cheated on Zara with this girl. I couldn't hurt her with these silly questions. And honestly... if Zara really had schemed to keep me away from Yuma, I don't think I really cared as much as I thought I would...? No, I really didn't care. Yuma... can't compare.

The door opened and my parents walked in. My mother gave me and Zara a tight hug, though Zara did not reciprocate with the friendliness she usually showed. My father smiled tersely at us and sat down. He was so unfeeling these days. We had our fair share of arguments before but it was never this awkward between us. He always had a glint of something strange in his eyes. Something more calculating than affectionate.

After the small talk, dinner soon arrived.

____________________
Zara

I felt a bit numb looking at Jimin's parents in front of me. His mom glanced my way a couple of times awkwardly, her nervous eyes betraying that she felt uncomfortable after the confession earlier today. I made no indication of acknowledging her glances or reassuring her of anything. After a bit, it was obvious I hadn't told Jimin, which made her seem calmer.

I looked over at Uncle, who quietly focused on the food. Regardless of his terrible behavior towards Jimin, he still ought to hear about what his company execs were planning. It was very much in the territory of insider trading, which was not only illegal, but the method of banking on his son's personal life was also invasive.

"Uncle there's something I want to tell you after this. It's work related."
"Of course, Zara. We can talk after," he said affectionately. I bit my cheek. He always was the sweetest person to me. So why couldn't he afford his son the same? Where was the great man I saw in him all my life?