Chapter 32

Zara
_____________________

While Jimin was speaking to his friends, I contacted my dad and asked if I could drop by. He mentioned that he was at Jimin's parents' apartment, and I sighed, but agreed to come anyway. Jimin had been seeing them frequently, but I was always at work when they dropped by my apartment.

"Zara! Sweetie, how are you?" Aunty greeted me as soon as I got to their drawing room. I smiled and hugged her.
"I'm fine, Aunty. How are you and Uncle doing?"
"Well, the best we can do with Jimin's condition... we're hanging in there."

I saw the tired look on her face and inferred her state of mind. I smiled tightly and hoped I was emanating sympathy somehow.
Uncle patted my head when I sat between him and my dad, and ruefully said, "She's all grown up now. You were a little girl just yesterday." He turned to my dad. "You should be proud to have such a great daughter."
My father held my hand and smiled. I felt awkward.

"We're all proud of her!" Aunty exclaimed from across me. "And your mother would be just as proud, you know?"
I exhaled a little smile and looked at my dad's hand, which tightened a little. We were similar people; the tragedy had affected us both silently, and I knew we both liked to suffer silently too. I was at least grateful my dad had some good friends, like the Parks. I was far more alone.

Uncle hesitantly turned to me, and finally smiled and said, "So... Zara. Does Jimin remember anything more yet? About the five lost years?"
I swallowed. "Well, no, not really. He remembers vague things based on random triggers... so meeting and chatting with college friends has helped him remember more about college. But it's still... very little."

Aunty sipped her cup of tea with a somber expression, and Uncle exhaled a little before mirroring her expression. But not quickly enough for me to not catch his expression. He seemed... relieved.

I churned the thought in my head. Was there something Uncle wanted him to forget? I opened my mouth to say something, but wondered if it would ruin the mood. Ah well, it had to be said, right?

"He doesn't remember that we'd grown apart in the last five years."
Uncle stiffened, and I continued, "He still treats me with the friendliness we had as kids. Things will change when he remembers."
Aunty sputtered, "No way, haha... he's never spoken ill of you to us. He's probably just shy, honey."
I smiled stiffly and shrugged.

All the adults shifted uncomfortably, and I decided it was time I left. "I will visit you again with Jimin next time! Bye!"
The three bade me farewell and I headed back to my apartment. I was sure something was off with Jimin's father. I had great respect and love for uncle— yes, I knew he could be overbearing and strict on Jimin a lot, but he was still a smart and reputable man.

Once I finished some grocery shopping and got back to my apartment, I saw that Taehyung and Namjoon were the only ones left with Jimin.
"Oh? Did everyone leave?" I asked as I took off my boots.
"Mhm. They were busy," Jimin said.
"Alright. What do you guys want for dinner? I was thinking of making some pasta... haven't done it in a while though."
"Oh no need, we shouldn't intrude..." Namjoon waved his hands in front of him. I tsk'd and shook my head.
"Please, have some. I don't mind at all."
Jimin nodded, "Yeah, we'd love some company."

The two glanced at each other before smiling and accepting the request. I could tell Taehyung was still apprehensive around me. But I could also tell that he was making an effort to get to know me a little more.

While Jimin was watching something on the TV with Namjoon, Taehyung slipped away to come help me with dinner. I appreciated the gesture, but I could see that he was itching to speak.

Eventually, he heaved a big sigh and decided to say it. "We told Jimin about your scandal four years ago."
"Oh? My mother's death?"
Taehyung glanced my way awkwardly. "Yeah."
I raised my eyebrows, wondering how he'd have reacted to that. I stopped what I was doing and closed my eyes for a moment, a wave of bad memories rushing over me for a second. I felt my legs tremble for second.
"Whoa, whoa," Taehyung said, catching my arm and steadying me, worry in his voice. I shook my head quickly to wake myself up, and pulled away immediately. I felt embarrassed at the sudden dizzy spell, so I just took a deep breath got back to making the meal.

"Did you not want us to tell him?"
"Well someone had to. I would have done it sooner or later. Now I suppose it has to be... sooner."
"You should tell him that he's not dating you too."

I heaved a deep sigh. "It's hard when he's living ten feet away, don't you think? Besides, I don't want to hurt him."
"This is hurting him more. Doesn't he... doesn't he dislike you? At Jin's party..."
I bit my lip and nodded slowly, "I guess so... yea. He hated me."

The two of us silently finished the cooking and brought everyone's food out. Jimin glanced at Taehyung with some irritation in his eyes, before inviting me to sit by him. The four of us chatted about our work, and for the first time, the other two showed some interest and kindness towards me, to try to get to know me better.

I told them about my job and my position, what I did during the week, and all that, all for Taehyung to snort, "That's a little boring. You work all the time."
Jimin sighed and nodded. "I gotta agree. You should party more."
"Well, let's all go out together sometime once Jimin's leg's better. You guys are frequently at clubs, I gather."

Namjoon laughed, "It's a great way to unwind. Besides, sometimes some of us get called up to sing and rap a little if they notice us."

"That's so cool. I really want to go see that." I beamed, my inner fan showing.
"See him rap...?" Taehyung asked.
"Yeah. I'm a pretty big fan of your music. I've bought every album."
"Isn't that just because of him?" Namjoon laughed as he pointed to Jimim, and Jimin blushed. I shook my head.
"No no. I mean, yes, that's how it started. But I genuinely love the music. I just never have time for concerts."
"You like them more than me?" Jimin asked indignantly. I gasped and turned a little pink.
"I— what? Stop."
This earned the whole group's laughter, and I just pouted at them in annoyance.

After the boys cleaned up and left, Jimin sat on the couch with a huff and invited me beside him. I sat down too, stretching and yawning.

"It's been a long d-"
"Zara. Why didn't you tell me?"

Oh dear.