Chapter 23|| Birthday Joy

"Count your life by smiles, not tears

"Count your life by smiles, not tears. Count your age by friends, not years."
~Unknown
____________

2016, Murray Hill, New York

Age 22

Strapping my heels to finish the look, a car horn blares from outside before my phone rings on my dresser. I roll my eyes as Valencio calls over and over, my stubbornness prompting me to ignore them all. Grabbing my bag and phone, I clamber down the stairs, shouting to my guards about my departure. I swipe the answer button and Valencio's deep voice greets me.

"Bambina, you ignored my calls didn't you?"

"You're such a spoiled baby, I'm near the car right now," I hang up and open the passenger door, leaning over the center console to peck his outstretched lips. He pulls my hair to deepen the kiss, sliding his tongue into my mouth. I don't know whether to focus on the stinging sensation in my scalp or the pleasurable dance in my mouth. We pull away with heavy breaths, Valencio funnily wiggling his eyebrows.

"Happy birthday, Principessa," Valencio says as hands me a small silver box.

"You got me a gift?" tears pool in the corner of my eyes and he caresses my cheeks.

"Of course, Bambina, you're the one who told me birthdays were special,"

"Thank you, babe, but now I really want coffee so step on it,"

Valencio laughs as he drives down the street for a few minutes ere getting a parking spot. We rush inside Wattle Cafe, Miranda jotting down our order as we occupy the usual table. I place my hands on the table, tapping my fingers on the wooden surface and humming to the soft tune playing in the background. Valencio places his gloved hands on mine, the cold of his rings soothing my aching fingers. I stroke his cobra ring with my thumb before Valencio moves my hand away. I arch my eyebrow in confusion as he slides the piece of jewelry off his finger.

"Is this your favorite of my rings?"

"Yeah, I like the design," He slides the ring onto my middle finger, smiling as it sits loosely at the bottom of my finger.