Chapter 1|| Forbidden

"It doesn't take a bruise or a broken bone for a child to be a victim of domestic violence

"It doesn't take a bruise or a broken bone for a child to be a victim of domestic violence. Kids who witness domestic violence are victims, too."
Amy Klobuchar
_______________________

"Amy Klobuchar_______________________

2003, Milan, Italy
Age 10

Forbidden. A word that somehow invites exploration but its official definition means restricted. A word that instantly piques the interest of those to whom it is uttered. The third floor of Angel Manor is off-limits to the Angel siblings, rarely are we allowed to roam the first floor.

Mother has warned us constantly to not tread this area of the house, yet here my brother and I stand, quivering anticipatedly as we hear crashes and shouts from behind our parents' door. Camren seems calm, a hardened expression etched on his face but I can hear his heartbeat increase with every sound.

I bury my head in Camren's chest, his old spice cologne infiltrating my nostrils. His shirt dampens as an influx of tears spill from my eyes. Another crash meets our ears and I cower in fear. Biting my lip and mentally counting down to my inevitable demise.

"They're gonna find us, Cam," I whisper, "we're going to be in trouble."

"Esmé, be quiet," he whispers rather harshly, contrasting the hand soothingly caressing my back.

Down the lightless hallway, I hear our parents' voices simultaneously. I assume they hear us wandering and are coming to scold us, but this never occurs. Instead, the shattering of glass and pained grunts fill our ears. We shift closer to the room, Camren encouraging me to go up the stairs but my body freezes in fear.

"Danté, you are not allowed to leave this house." Mother's heavy Italian accent rings in my ears.

"I am leaving, Eloise, there's nothing you can do about it." My father replies firmly.

"You cannot abandon our children this way." Mom announces, followed by the crashing of yet another item.

"I don't need the phone you just broke, you can have it. My children will leave you too, I know for a fact." Dad replies.