Chapter 11

Grimm's Pov:

   I've had my mate for a few days but, I still know nothing about her. She's hardly said a word to me. I don't even know her name. I've tried to make conversation with her but, she only manages short answers. She only ever stares off with a blank smile on her face.

  After countless failed conversations she's now just sitting on the edge of my desk saying and doing nothing. No amount of digging has upturned any information about her. I've only managed to find news of a war I don't remember starting.

  My head aches terribly at the sea of documents before me. They all bear my signature but, I don't remember signing any of them.

  A knock comes at the door.

  "It's open", I call. It swings open and in walks Breuer.

  "You summoned me", he says.

  "Yes, I have noticed some discrepancies in my paperwork and I was hoping you could fill me in as to what's been going on while I was unconscious," I say.

  He quirks an eyebrow at me, "you were only out for like a day".

  "That can't be right", I say.

  "It is", he steps closer. He scans me up and down before his eyes widen almost comically.

  "Hey, do you feel like beating up an omega or assaulting your mate here?", he asks.

  I rise to my feet immediately, "what the fuck did you just ask me?". I put an arm over my desk putting a barrier between him and my mate. His eyes seem to twinkle at the gesture.

  "I asked if you feel like raping your mate while she bleeds out and then leaving her immediately after to starve?", he says. The ghost of a smirk dances on his lips.

  I growl, "if you ever say anything like that again I'll-". He interrupts me with a loud cackle.

  "You really don't remember do you?", he asks, "or you're telling yourself you don't".

  "What are you talking about?", my nails curl into the wood of my desk.

  "The first stage", he says, "I remember mine, only mine didn't get to last too long. The shredded remains around me made that difficult. Still, I managed it until I saw the wedding band on one of the dismembered fingers".

  "What are you-", I start.

  "Denial is one hell of a drug", he says.

  "Are you saying I'm denial about something?", I ask.

  "Sure am", he grins, "didn't think I could get much clearer".

  "What about?", I ask. His eyes trail over to the girl sitting on my desk.

  "You know I never did get the wonderful lady's name", he says.

  "Are you saying I had something to do with her being like this?", I ask.

  "Precisely".

  "She's my mate I'd never-", again he interrupts me.

  "You need to face what you did Grimm", Breuer says.

  "How could I have done anything?", I ask, "I just met her".

  "You're so in denial you're delusional", he slams his hand onto my desk. My mate flinches at the sound. Seeing the quick flash of fear in her I'm immediately on defense.

  "Get out of my office", my voice comes out much calmer than I feel.

  "You won't be able to stay in your bubble forever", he says, "accept this reality you created for yourself".

  "Get out of my office", I can feel my temper rising but, I push it down. I never want my mate to see me angry if I can help it.

  He turns to leave but, not before saying one last thing, "face what you've done or burn". The heavy door slams shut behind him. My head pounds all the more at the sound.

  I lean back in my chair with a sigh. My head is killing me. It feels as though something is scraping away to burrow inside. I peek at my mate to see her staring at me as blank as ever.

  "Why won't you say anything?", I ask. She smiles at me in her usual blank way.

  "What would you like me to say?", her voice is saccharine and lacks inflection.

  "Please, tell me anything about yourself", I beg.

  "I am nothing", I groan at her answer.

  "I highly doubt that", I drop my face into my hands. She told me that every time I've asked.

  "You're always sitting there quietly", I say, "you must be thinking something".

  "I think of nothing outside of how best to serve you", she says.

  "I don't want you to service me", I say, "I want you to be my mate".

  "I am your mate and it is my purpose to conform to your desires", she says.

  "No, it is not", I say, "so stop".

  "Yes master", she says. I groan my frustration.