Chapter 1

A/n: hey guys! Thank you for reading my book! Before you start I've noticed a lot of people reading them out of order. If that is how you prefer that is fine but, I feel there is more payoff if you read them in order. Here is the proper order for the series. I know it seems like a lot but, I promise if you saw the tags for this book and decided you were interested you will love this series.

Book 1- When the Pieces Fall
Book 2- All the Things Between us
Book 3- Lay me Down to Sleep
Book 4- Twelve Steps Forward
Book 5- Ourselves and our Posterity
Book 6- The Beginning

Act I

  The Lunar ball was only a few days ago. How did my life come to this? I had only hoped for a good honest man. Instead, I found myself shackled to a bed. I had never imagined the Alpha would be my mate.

  Alpha Grimm was the kind of man that could only be described as one thing, Machiavellian. Only the foolish and power-hungry would so much as look in his direction. Most people didn't even know what he looked like as they feared him too much to peek.

  Everyone knew how brutal he was. Men who had fought alongside him in war came home traumatized by the things he had done. Concubines who had outlived their age of use returned to their families as mauled husks of the people they once were. The omegas at his service had their own plot behind the church.

  The stories told of how he was horribly deformed. He was as ugly on the outside as in. He had stopped being a man in favor of being a grotesque beast. Me and my friends spoke of how he must be this drooling fanged creature. He probably had shedded skin in favor of scales or fur.  His hands were no longer such but instead knife-like talons. His eyes glowed gold and black in our minds.

  We had dared each other to glance at him. I always thought myself a brave girl so I made the unfortunate decision to look at him I stared him right in the eye. He was so much worse than I could have ever imagined. His eyes glowed gold but the most beautiful shade I'd ever imagined. He was the most gorgeous man I had ever seen and as I looked at him the world fell away around us until we were all that was left. I wanted to run into his arms and kiss him senseless.

  He took a step in my direction and I snapped out of my trance. I turned to run but my efforts were much too late. The guards grabbed me immediately. I struggled as I was dragged to the center of the room to stand before him when the guards finally released me. I decided to stare at my feet to avoid getting caught up in him again.

  "Bow", thundered a powerful voice and I knew it was him. I felt my eyes widen. Surely he couldn't be serious, I was his mate and to be treated as an equal.

  "No", I told him. I felt a hard impact fall across my cheek and I hit the ground. The crowd around us gasped. I touched a tentative finger to my cheek only to find a new gash. He had slapped me and hard. I looked up at him expecting to see him glowering down at me but he had already turned away. He called flippantly over his shoulder for the guards to take me and chain me to his bed and with that, I was hauled away.

  They pulled me into a dark room and shackled my ankle to a bed before they left. I screamed and thrashed until I was hoarse.

  I laid in the dark room until I heard the cogs of the door clicking to open. I shot up to see who was approaching.

  It was him. He strode to my bedside and stared me directly in the eye.

  "Just who do you think you are?", he growled at me. I stared back at him shocked.

  "What do you mean?", I ask.

  "Looking into my eyes like that", he said, "and then refusing to bow as penance". I was flabbergasted at him.

  "Did you not want to find your mate?", I asked.

  He stared hard at me before answering, "not particularly". He sighed and ran a hand through his long dark hair.

  "If I must be stuck with you you will do as I please", he said.

  "What do you mean?", I asked. At this, he grinned down at me. I tried to get away from him as he bent over me but, the chains held me in place. I struggled against my restraints as he straddled me and pinned my wrists with one hand. He lowered his head to where his lips were at my ear.

  "I could use a new toy", he said before sinking his teeth into the crook of my neck. I cried as I felt him licking up the blood.

  He came back up to look me in the eyes. He took his free hand to run down my body. His fingers traced around my most intimate parts and he ground himself against me.

  After what felt like forever he finally stopped his ministrations.

  "Remember to take everything you are given dearest", he spit before slinking off of me and out of the room

  I sat in shock. I had been forcibly marked and practically molested.

  The days since then had passed much the same as that first night. Every day I have awoken to a tray on a table next to me with a few scraps of food and some pills. The first day I hadn't taken the pills and Grimm told me if I didn't I wouldn't get food either before forcing them down my throat.

  I've felt so fuzzy since then. It's better this way though as it makes the time go faster and Grimm's treatment of me less painful. Every night he makes new bruises on me before going about his routine of touching me in ways that make me hate myself.

 Every night he makes new bruises on me before going about his routine of touching me in ways that make me hate myself