Chapter 20

"So you're running away", he tells me.

I give him a quizzical look, "no actually, you may want your vision checked because I am clearly laying in bed staring at the ceiling".

"Yes, that's just the problem", he says going to my closet. I sit up and watch as a pile of clothes starts to form near his feet.

"Why are you throwing clean laundry on the ground?", I sigh.

"See", he chuckles, " now you're the one who needs your eyes checked as I am clearly aiding and abetting a runaway".

"But, I'm not running away", I say. He looks flippantly over his shoulder and tosses another skirt onto the growing pile. His face scews into an expression mocking my quizzical one.

"Yes, you are", he says, "have you been paying no attention? We discussed this a while ago and we're already halfway through packing your bags". He throws one last coat to the ground and begins riffling through the shoes Grimm bought.

"And, this discussion we had 'a while ago' wouldn't happen to be you barging in ten minutes ago, telling me I'm running away and then upending my wardrobe would it?", I ask.

He smiles, "yes, exactly, I'm glad you were paying attention". A pair of boots fall to the ground with a loud thud.

I groan rolling out of bed for the first time in days. I hide the struggle of rising to my feet. Acknowledging it would only make Breuer worry. He worries too much for me. I think I've spotted a few grays in his hair.

"So, in this hypothetical of me running away-", he interrupts me.

"It's not hypothetical".

I roll my eyes and continue, "where am I running to?".

  His face falls slightly, "we'll discuss that later". I come to stand at the opposite end of the pile. The fabric pools and spills over with no sense of rhyme or reason.

  "That's not fair", I tell him, "if I don't get a choice I deserve to at least know what's happening".

  "I know you do", his words shake, "it's just hard for me to talk about". Another pair of shoes thud to the ground between us.

  "Why?", I ask, "this whole thing is your idea".

  "You trust me don't you?".

  "Yes, but this is still my life we're talking about Breuer", I say. A duffel bag I didn't even know I had falls next to the pile.

  "You will be safe there", he promises.

  "Still".

  "Still nothing", he says, "everything is planned and in place".

  "Breuer", I place a hand on his shoulder, "I'm carrying Grimm's child. As much as I want to go, I can't now".

  I take my hand and press it to his lips, "you are carrying a child".

  "Breuer-".

  "No", he pulls me into his arms, "you aren't going to stay here with him anymore. I'm sticking of watching you waste away here. You deserve a life, your child deserves a life. If Grimm was ever going to step up he'd have done it months ago. It was selfish of him and I to keep you here and I see that now".

  The set of his frown and furrow of brows assure me of his resolve. I am running away.

  "What about Grimm?", I ask.

  "What about him?".

I sigh, "it's not like he'll let us just leave".

  He considers my words, "he spends all his time in the basement, by the time he senses you're leaving you'll be too far away for him to catch you".

  "He's still an Alpha", I remind him, "and I haven't been outside this castle in years, how am I meant to outrun him?".

  He smiles slightly, "you won't have to, there will be a car waiting at the border".

  "How am I meant to get past the guards?", I ask.

  "Most of them fought with me", he says, "they will be loyal to their brother in arms before their Alpha".

  "What's to stop him from finding me", I ask, "the border's a temporary barrier at best".

  "I have people who are ready to keep you safe", he says.

  "And after that?".

  "Whatever you want", he smiles, "get a job, buy a house, live happily ever after with your kid, visit the moon if you'd like. You'll be free".

  "I'm not sure I know how to be free anymore".

  "You'll learn".

  "And you?", I ask, "you're coming too".

  "Why", he jokes, "you can't survive without my cooking?".

  "Please Breuer", I beg him. He the only good thing in life I even remember.

  He pulls me right against him. My hands go to his shoulders tracing the ridges of muscles. He stares down at me and I at him.

  "I will always be with you".