Chapter 15

I wake up the next morning as I have for the past two weeks. I'm quickly out of bed and running to the bathroom to puke. It's like I'm strung out all over again. The remainder of my detox has me desperate for a high.

  I have no idea why this is happening. The only thing I can come up with is stress. That hardly makes any sense though. I've been worse off than this and have never had this reaction. I know it can't be sickness as a stomach bug would've passed by now.

  I flush the toilet and brush my teeth. When I look in the mirror an imposter stares back at me. She is careful to copy my every move. I don't mind her company.

  "Are you decent?", he's on the other side of the door. I can feel the blood rushing to my cheeks at the thought of him. I've seen him in a new light since the other night.

  "I'm dressed", I hear the door open behind me. He joins the strange woman in the mirror.

  "Are you okay?", he asks, "you look-".

  "I know I look like shit", I sigh. His eyes widen and he waves his hands as if dispelling my words.

  "No, you look beautiful, you always look beautiful", he clears his throat, "you're just a bit pale". He comes to stand behind me and rests a hand on my shoulder. He's so tall that this close the mirror cuts off his hair. Still, blond curls fall over his forehead.

  "Once we get a good meal in you and maybe some vitamins you'll be right as rain", the smile his reflection wears is the most assuring thing I've ever seen, and I can tell my companion agrees.

  I lean back my head resting against his strong chest, "alright".

  He gently turns me and wraps an arm around my shoulder, always ready to support me. I lean into his side as he leads me to the kitchen.

  I've loved having him back. I didn't know him for long before, but he's been so helpful. Every day I get out of bed is only for him.

  As we step in I am immediately met with the smell of coffee. It's an overbearing scent. Still, I have had little sleep and I am desperate for relief.

  Breuer follows the path of my gaze, "how about a half cup?".

  "Please", he chuckles at me and goes to make up our drinks. For me, he only adds a little bit before drowning it in cream and sugar. He fills his cup to the very top with pure black coffee. He takes a sip of his before setting it down again. I watch him turn away to choose ingredients.

  I take my cup and quickly down the whole thing. When I'm done I can't help eyeing his. It smells vile but I feel like I just need it. If I only take a sip he'll never notice. I take a glance his way to see he's still distracted.

  I quietly raise the cup to my lips. I don't even get a taste. As soon as the steam hits my nose I drop the cup shattering it on the floor. It was too much and I'm bent over the sink.

  Breuer is over in a second holding my hair When I'm done I'm crying from exhaustion and embarrassment and the room still stinks of coffee. I sink to the floor and Breuer sits beside me.

  "What's wrong with me?", I ask. I pull my knees up to my chest and hug myself tight.

  "It's nothing to worry about", Breuer says, "besides you probably shouldn't be drinking that stuff right now anyway".

  "What do you mean nothing to worry about?", I ask, "I'm puking my guts out daily".

  He chuckles, "yeah, my mate was the same way for the first couple of months. I'll just start feeding you blander food".

  "What are you talking about?", his face turns serious.

  "You do know don't you?", he asks.

  "Know what?".

  "Holy fuck", he says, "does Grimm know?".

  "Know what?", I ask again. He groans and runs a hand through his hair.

  "You aren't in a good place for this right now", he says more to himself.

  "For what?".

  He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath through his nose before answering, "you'll realize soon enough". He gets to his feet and pours the rest of the coffee down the drain before turning on the faucet. He reaches down a hand and I take it. He helps me to my feet.

  "Are you going to stop being cryptic and tell me what's going on?", I ask.

  "Nope", he says, "now you should go brush your teeth while I fix you something to eat". This man is as stubborn as a mule and I know pushing the issue will get me nowhere. I decide just do as he says.

  When I return he's set out a dish for me. It looks like broth and bread.

  "I know it's not much but, hopefully, you'll be able to keep it down", he says. He leans against the counter watching me approach. I smile at him but, it feels like that old rehearsed one I'd wear for Grimm. I know he's hiding something from me and I don't like it.

  "I'm sure it's great", I say, "thank you". I sit down to eat. I dab the bread into the still-steaming bowl. As soon as it touches my lips I nearly moan.

  "It's amazing", I tell him.

  "I hope so", he says, "all the times I had to make that in the middle of the night or early morning I sure hope it's palatable".

  "I doubt you're capable of making anything bad", I tell him. He comes from his spot to sit next to me.

  "Well it helps you were damn near starving when I got ahold of you", he says.

  "You're selling yourself short", I chuckle.

  "Well I'm glad you like it", he turns to me with that small smile he wore in the ballroom. I feel my cheeks flame at the memory.

  "Are you going to have anything", I ask. He runs a hand through his hair and I can't help but, to follow the action. I'm not sure how I never noticed handsome he was. I guess it helps that he's the opposite of Grimm in every way.

  "Nah, the coffee was enough", he teases. I look down into the bowl and see my reflection staring back at me.

  "Sorry about that", I mumble. He only laughs at my shame.

  "It's okay", he says, "I wasn't too attached to it anyway".

  "You're good you know", I tell him.

  He shrugs, "I try".

  I press a hand to his cheek, "no, really". His smile falls. He looks at me for a long moment with a melancholy I'd never imagined before pressing a kiss to my hair.

 He looks at me for a long moment with a melancholy I'd never imagined before pressing a kiss to my hair