Chapter 2: "Who's ready to canoe?"

Song: "Jungle Festival" - Derek Fiechter

        I had one last dream after the mysterious one. In this dream, I dreamt that I was canoeing on a lake, and clouds of mosquitoes were chasing me. To get away from them, I paddled as fast as I could. More mosquito clouds joined the others, and that meant more chased me. Finally, I made it to a small island, and I quickly pulled up to the beach. Throwing my paddle into my canoe, I quickly dismounted it and pulled it onto the sand. Immediately when I did, the mosquitoes left, but a wave crashed down on my canoe instead. I sighed when I saw that it flooded it. Then, shaking my head, I peered up to the sky and cupped my hands around my mouth.

"Helicopter!" I called. I waited. Within just a few minutes, I heard a helicopter, and it floated down towards me. From the bottom of it came out a rope, and I grabbed it. I nodded, and the chopper pulled me up and out of the lake. Sigh, now if only that could happen in real life.

        I enjoyed my dream, but it didn't last for long. It was soon rudely interrupted by my father who suddenly asked,

"Who's ready to canoe?" I groaned and lifted my hand.

"Ugh, seriously, Dad?" I said, and I hugged Annie, my cowgirl doll, close to me. Annie has always been very close to me. My mom gave me her a long time ago. She was my very first toy. I never went anywhere without Annie. Without Annie, I didn't feel like myself. She reminded me of Jessie in Toy Story, which was one of the reasons why I loved her so much. Toy Story 2 was my very first Disney movie, and I always loved Jessie. She's my favorite character. Don't laugh! Shut up! It's the truth! Anyway, my point is, Annie is like a part of me.

        After I pulled her close to me, I next put my pillow over my head. Uncle Harrison and my parents got the bed and couch, while Uncle Bart and I got the floor. Sigh, aren't Uncle Bart and I just the luckiest people alive? He didn't really mind, but I did. I hated the floor. It was disgusting, dirty, jeopardizing, intimidating, ugh! I just didn't like it, which was kind of bad because I would be sleeping on the floor of the forest for the next week. I really had to change my attitude. I'll admit, I was nothing but a little witch the first few days of the trip.

        "Wake up, Penelope!" I suddenly heard my dad yelp from the bed, yeah, the bed, "We're driving to Ontario today!" And Uncle Bart and I had the floor. Seriously, Uncle Bart was an elder. Show him some respect. Sigh, parents. You'll never understand them aye, kids?

"What?!" I next heard my mother ask, "Already?!" Yes already, Mom! She actually wasn't that excited about the trip either, so at least I could share my misery with someone else.

"The others are going to be in here in a half hour!" Dad yelped. I heard him jump out of bed. He next clapped his hands together, "Time to get up!" I heard shuffling and groaned again. I did not take my pillow off my head. I hate getting woken up early in the morning. Come on, I'm a teenager. I need my eight hours of sleep. Actually, for teenagers I think it's ten. Whatever. I don't feel like doing math right now. I'm sharing my story about my canoeing trip in Ontario. I'm not in school.

        Soon after Dad went to go turn on the lights, I heard Uncle Bart.

"I'm ready," he said in his calm, relaxed voice. His voice is so soothing. It's almost as soothing as the song Scooby and I heard in my dream.

"I'm ready too!" my Uncle Harrison soon yelled after my Uncle Bart, "I can't wait to get to Ontario!" This was so sad. Mom and I were the only ones not jumping with joy while the others were. Now that I think about it, I feel bad about my behavior the first couple days of the trip. Anyway, I'm getting off topic again.