Chapter 38: Ihaan and Camp Juniper

Sweat poured down Ihaan's face, and he took deep breaths. Blood still dripped from his nose, but the bleeding was starting to slow down. I've seen him scared before, yeah, but he looked absolutely traumatized the first time he saw my family up close.

I attempted to take the spear out of his hand. I grabbed it, but Ihaan ripped it away and struggled to his feet with his teeth clenched together,

"Stand back, Kylie!" He grabbed my arm and pulled me close to him with his spear still pointed at Camp Juniper. "These people are animals!" A few drops of blood fell from his nose and hit the sand. He continued. "Look at them! They have invaded this beach! Close your eyes, Little Red, because they are going to feel the rage of my spear!"

"Stop it, Ihaan!" I shouted, and I slapped his spear down. "Please! They're my family!"

"Huh?" was Ihaan's only question.

"Remarkable!" Aunt Jessie cried out. "Yehaw!" She knocked Ihaan's spear down and grabbed him by both ears. "Ears, nose, and beautiful teeth!" She pulled Ihaan's lips aside so she could see his teeth. "No doubt about it, he is definitely a person! My goodness! You sure are a handsome, young man!"

Ihaan was too frightened to speak.

Uncle Clement was the next one to converse. He yelled in Ihaan's face, "How old are you, son?!" He didn't let Ihaan answer, not that he wanted to, because everybody except Mom pushed by me and crowded around the mysterious hermit.

Ro and I tried to pull them away from him, but Camp Juniper literally kicked us out of the circle, and we landed next to each other on the ground.

"Kylie wasn't joking!" I heard Aunt Delia say. "Oh, you poor dear! What did she do to your nose?"

Uncle Clement's eyes landed on Ro, and he reached for her, but she snapped at him.

Mom simply plopped down on the sand and crossed her arms, huffing.

Uncle Macon grabbed Ihaan's arms and squeezed them. "Wow! You're a strong munchkin! You must work out at the Y too!"

        "Huh?" Ihaan asked again. He struggled to release himself. "Let me go! I want my bird back!" Immediately at his request, Uncle Macon dropped him, and Ihaan ended up doing a front flip on the sand. He banged his injured, disfigured ankle. Now, how do I know this? Well, he yelled, "OW!" when he hit the ground and grabbed hold of his bandaged foot. Both his boots were off his feet now, and of course, Ihaan didn't wear socks.

        Ro and I decided to come to his rescue.

"Stop!" I yelled and I leaped to my feet. "Leave him alone! You're scaring him!"

Ro screeched and backed my family away from Ihaan the Hermit.

I hurried to him and grabbed his ear so he couldn't run off. "See, guys?" I asked. "I told you he was real!" I felt Ihaan trying to run, but I merely tightened my grip. He looked like a flailing fish, and he constantly yelped. Even Ro tried to push him back towards us! Her! Ro! Why? "This is Ihaan the Hermit!" I continued, and I gestured at Ro with my free hand. "And that's his trustworthy companion, Ro the Eagle! I tried telling you, but no, no, no, you didn't listen! Say you're sorry, Camp Juniper!"

For a second, Camp Juniper didn't say anything, but I forced them to. "All of you!"

Ihaan still struggled to release himself from my grasp. He almost got away, but I caught him at the last second.

After a bit, Camp Juniper finally apologized, "Okay! Okay! We're sorry!" except Mom.

I glanced at her and snapped, "You too, Mom!"